Wednesday 16 November 2016

Takayama1

Another early start and a good long train trip into the mountains again. Not quite the same direction as yesterday, more NNE than NE if you see what I mean!  Anyway I got my self processed and organised for early shuttle to the station, found a seat in the unreserved section of the train, and off we go! Tried to do some blog entries but gave up as the ride was a little bumpy and there were lotsof tunnels again. The scenery was lovely and you could easily see why this is such a popular area for walkers. There were some dramatic views of steep descents, covered with autumnal colours and leading down to rocky river beds.You could see why I wanted the camera at the ready. Here are just a few shots to get you in the mood.

 Note the mist swirling overhead. Hope it will be a nice day - I could do with some blue sky!

That is snow in the background on the mountain tops. They are known as the Jaapanese Alps.
 Sorry they are not very clear - the windows need cleaning and there is also a bit of a reflection to contend with!



Sorry this is a bit wonky!


How did those trees get in the way?


Surprising what you can see when you are rushing by on a train! Unlike in fiction I haven't seen any murders....yet!!

Even the country towns look huge but mainly they are low buildings. Just the few small tower blocks - more like a high wall than a tower!!


Notice just how close together the houses are.

At last we are there.

Of course the first thing is to get a map so that I can decide where to go.  I had done the research but again was not sure of the distances. It is very reassuring when you ask a question at the tourist office and the reply is given in clear English - all be it a bit poorly phrased. The walk to the town was not at all far and when I have done that bit, I could return to the bus station to take a bus to the Hida Folk Village.
 If you could understand the maps, then you could have got on the bus somewhere, but without understanding the 'secret code' that is Kanji (and the other one who's name I have forgotten!), taking a bus could be very risky. You might be taken off into the unknown never to be seen again! This is the main reason I wanted to come here as I had read reviews that were very favourable! (Not about the getting taken off to the uknown, the folk village!)

So now as I walk around, I am looking at the shops and their contents. Some good things in the windows and outside of shops, but you only need so much of the souvenir stuff. I did see a bag that I was taken with and went inside and bought it immediately. Hand made out of  leather with flowers all over it in a square design. Not too pricey and a good size so I was well chuffed!
 
Stopped off at a shrine for a quick photo burst. There was a massive ginko tree which was stated to be over 1200 years old...now that's old!

And it was big,and I mean really big! What you maybe can't make out is that the womn with her back to you in pink is actually sweeping up the leaves. Now that's a job you don't want at this time of year!


 

The building looks like it is wearing a mask!
 


The ladles that you can  see in the foreground are for you to wash your hands before you pray. there is a whole set of standard behaviour for what to do at shrines.


These little darlings were having lots of fun collecting the leaves and looking at the colours on them.



 Another dog dressed to the nines!

 
I had waited a while to get a shot of the sweeper at work....


The likely lads having a good gossip!



If its not frogs then it is lucky cats....not that I was sure that's what they were!!



Street food - rice balls dipped in something vaguely salty, not unpleasant, but remember them from the last time, now that I have had some again.




The view as I walk over the bridge to get to the historic part of town....and the other side...


and on the bridge itself...

Not the most attractive statue I have ever seen but it did have very long arms!


These houses are said to be original from the samurai period of Japanese history. They are used for shops for the tourist trade, but at the end of the street all were selling saki and I think there was a distillery.


There were traders selling delicacies that had people in a long queue so I had to linger to see what they were getting....at enormous expensive (abotu £5or £6 per person)

 

Two little servings of a slither of beef on some rice....I must be a philistine as I immediately thought I would rather have a McD!!.......and you get chips with that and a drink!! 


 The ricshaw chaps were about and stopping at this little booth on the edge of the photo....it had some sort of clown character...must be a Noh person....I am just not in the Know!! Oooh


 Outside the saki shops



Another poocch - this one going for a ride!


and he wasn't the only o

 This bag caught my eye, but I bought one yesterday so need to be sensible...anyway the price was tooo much for me...and I don't do pink.  Yuck!




And another sttue - look at him riding high, hope the bird doesn't flap his wings and take off!  Don't know about this chap but he is the same one in the booth (see above) - so he is not a Noh character by the look of it!


 Shrines with the goddess for mother and daughter...or words to that effect! It is covered with all these little dolls.








 Another pooch - I seem to have seen more pooches thtan the money will stand for.
 


 The six deities....I think! All my leaflets have been packed to get to Beppu. Will update things later as or if necessary!
The final photo for now -I will add more to another post - Takayama 2 later!

No comments:

Post a Comment