Thursday 10 November 2016

Last day in Tokyo

Sorry for some reason I can't add any further lines after the last photo, so here are the last few pictures from today. Only a few as you will be bored rigid if I insert every picture I took as I wandered through the museum! Was a bit surprised as although the site is big, there didn't appear to be as much on show as I would have expected. I went everywhere I could even though I thought I was only interested in the textile bits. There were one or two specially good exhibits...


Isn't this a jolly fellow! He is the standing Daioku Ten (Mahakala)and is dated 1347.
This i
This is Dogu ( a clay figure) with goggle shaped eyes! Dates from 1000-400BC.
This is a Haniwa (terracotta tomb figure ) dating from the 6th century.

The next two are Itomaki no tachi Sword Mounting from the Edo period 17th century. The caption says the piece is bamboo grasss and gentian crests on nashiji lacquer ground.  All of which is very well but why is there an absense of details about the braids!!


9th Century Kosode

The above kimono is one of a tiny few - I was disappointed that there were so few textiles. After my last trip why am I surprised!

 Below is a close up of a sword...lots of info about the sword and not a mention of the braid!  The caption read as follows:-Itomaki no tachi style sword mounting with bamboo grass and gentian crests on nashiji lacqur ground. Edo 17th century.



No comments:

Post a Comment