Thursday 10 November 2016

Nagoya - arrived!

After manoeuvering Tokyo - more ups and downs with steps, escalators and one lift trip, I managd to gt on the right train, in time, with a seat! I had planned to gt a taxi but after hanging around on a street corner and no taxis in the right lane to be able to stop, I decided to leg it to the subway to get the train. (subway = underground here, not a walkway.)

I arrived in Nagoya just after 1p.m. and headed for the tourist info office. Furnished with a map and directions I spent ages trying to find a lift or escalator to get to the right level to be able to get going. I had discovered  that yes my hotel is only a short walk from the station - just not the station I thought!  Luckily it is only one stop down the subway.  It took quite a time to get to the point of actually being on the train since I needed to find either a lift or escalator as I was lugging the extremely heavy suitcase plus also heavy rucksack.Anyway, to cut a hard going journey short, I eventually arrived at my hotel, checked in and found myself in much better surroundings.

I have hardly stopped since I left home and had already decided today would be chill day! As it turns out, it has been anything but chill!  The hotel has a natural hot spring onsen and as those of you who followed my last trip will remember, onsens are good!

I hadn't got the same level of uncertainty as had read the guide on the hotel channel on the tv.  They opened at 3p.m. but it was nearer 4 by the time I was ready to go down as been sorting out clothes etc and also washing as had spottd free washing facilities in the entrance to the onsen.  Finally towels in hand I set off to the 2nd floor.

Facilities were smaller than the one I had tried in Kyoto, but they are fabulous. Like a top notch spa. Suitably striped off I went into the hot pool - 42 degrees C - and that is hot. Once I got used to it though it was extremely comfortable. There was even a cold bar (metal type!!) where you rest the nape of your neck to help you from overheating.  After a while another punter entered the arena.

The signs had suggested that you didn't talk, but this lady asked where I was from and how long I was staying in the hotel. It transpired that she was part of a family party of 8 who had been here several days back and were calling in tonight at the end of their holiday.  They had been travelling around the area (going to most of the places I plan to call in at) and had to return their hire vehicle today before flying home to Hong Kong tomorrow.  Same really as it was easy to have  a conversation with her - and her sister who came in a few minutes after.

After a while I moved to a slightly cooler bath - which was actually outside although so well screened etc you hardly realised, except the air temperature wsa cooler, but not cold. I think it was abotu 14 degres today, but maybe slightly warmer. I had been soaked ( not nice !!) with perspiration from the effort of lugging that darned case about. I vow never ever again to bring so much stuff. Am definitely going to dump stuff before I leave here.  You have to remember that I am also buying odd bits and bobs - mainly small and light but so far 3 A4 sized books. They aren't thick but they still weigh!  Anyway, I digress!!

I also tried the hot sauna - as it was labelled! It was 94 degrees and I didn't stay in for very long as I know that I have to be sensible!  Don't want to be found flaked out on the floor, especially wearing only my birthday suit! That would be too embarrassing for words! After that the cold pool seemed welcoming and although it was darned cold, it was refreshing, but I was only in upto my knees. I think it will be a time before I will be prepared to sit in that one!  Anyway I completed the process and returned to a couple of cups of tea and a rest with my feet up. After a rest I feel much better and am now planning tomorrow....but the day will end with a repeat onsen. In fact, I think I will try to get one slotted in every night.  There is also a massage option - either feet or body, so I may try one of those too while the chance is there!

NB In case you are wondering, I have investigated posting stuff home, but that is quite expensive airmail, so will wait to see if it is really necessary. Also I have had a bit of a disappointment in that I was hoping to get either another part for my ayatakadai or even another but with more positions.  If I was to buy another, I would need weight allowance for it.  As it turns out that won't be necessary.

Luckily one of the people I spoke to at the Ply Split exhibition telephoned the makers to ascertain what the price I had been given really included. To cut a long tale short, these makers are not really interested in providing what I want as it is too time consuming. They indicated it would take a month to make - and I will have left before then.  Previously the receptionist at the Tokyo hotel had faxed and phoned for me as the company don't have an english speaker.  This does make for complications, hence my need to get a translation so that I was sure I understood as I could have gone out of my way to collect something that didn't exist.

Ah well, I have had to give up on the idea for now.  However, if anyone reading has a husband who is good at woodwork ( I know one or two tinker, but may not want to try this!!), I would be happy to discuss possibilities with them - you get nothing if you don't ask, so here's hoping!!

 I am now trying to catch up on the blog images - did some work on the train here and plan to get up to date either tonight or at worst by the end of tomorrow.  I think I am off to Kanazawa tomorrow, but it could be Takayama, Iga Ueno or Matsumoto...need to get some weather advice so am going to stop now and go and consult! The hotel advertise that they have good language skills and so far I fully agree with them, so let's hope it continues.  Also there is a free noodle tasting session, so am off to try that now!

I will continue later! ttfn

 ******* after a short intrlude ********

 Well, some long time later I have returned!  I met a female golfer from Singapore and bumped into the two young men that I had seen when I checked in - they are both I T bods from Switzerland.  This means that they speak English, or near enough!  Good to get the low down on some of the places as you never know what tips can be gleaned.
 Have spoken to the reception folk and got the weather, but it doesn't look that now, so need to recheck where I am planning at each place, as don't need outdoor places if rain is on the way.

Watch this space to see what transpires!
 Oh almost forgot, the noole tasting was actually free noodle dish for any guests from 9.30 to 11p.m.  Later to use, but there were people streaming in as I came out.  I was pleasantly surprised - a sort of chicken noodle soup but the noodles are buck wheat and the soup - more of a consomme - had seaweed spooned in. Actually very nice - just hope I still think so tomorrow!!

ttfn...again!

1 comment:

  1. Well I guess the onsen did you good but between that and the seaweed noodles it sounds more like a bush tucker trial with Ant and Dec!!

    ReplyDelete