Saturday 12 November 2016

Iga Ueno - kumihimo an ninja!

I had checked the forecast with reception and it all seemed promising so it was up with the lark and off to the station at 7a.m. in time to get to the right track by 7.27 departure. It was to be a long journey with lots of stops and it proved too difficult to us any electrical devices, so no progress on the backlog. As it is already very late, it might be a bigger backlog by midnight!!

Anyway the journey consisted of about 80 minutes on one train then change trains - a quick nip over the bridge to the other track. Then it was hang around time as it was another 20 minutes for the onward train but it arrived exactly on time.   I got to my destination about 40 minutes later.

An elderly Japanese man had made an attempt at conversation. I gleaned he was going to Tsuge to play golf. I explained - by using sign language more than anything, that I wanted to see the braiding centre at Iga Ueno. He said ninja I said kumihimo........sounds like a song! When he had to get off the train he lagged behind to speak to the driver and made sure that they would assist me. It was very sweet of him! One little highlight that amused me was that part way along we pulled into a station and everyone had to get off and transfer to another train then off we went - all in less than 2 minutes! Previously we had been directed to move to the front carriage - this was because they needed to split the train and only the front continued the journey.  The separation process was very low tech for Japan - more like something we would see on a private railway at home. 

After arriving at the station I asked the 'concierge' (their term for the station watchdog!) how to get to the centre. He produced a map and then said that I needed to get another train to get to the right area. After yet another wait, a dinky little train came along and I successfully travelled the 3 stops necessary. The station was not much bigger than a garden shed! The next problem was which way to go - the map was poor to say the least.Luckily I chose the right direction but wasn't sure where to turn so thought I would have to ask someone but there was no-one anywhere, so I just ambled along. I came up to a chap chatting away  on his phone so I stoppd a little bit away and he nodded at me to indicate he wouldn't be long.  Before you could say Jack Robinson, another chap jumped out of the building to offer advice - he told me to go to the pole, round corner, pole... -  ice! Seen as I hadn't committed any crime I though I would stick with looking for my destination.....didn't spot any police but continued along till I came to a likely building. Again no sign of life so I realised it couldn't be correct so on again. Then I spotted a more modern building which looked hopeful.  At I had arrived!


 I enjoyed looking around but was disappointed that so many of the obi-jime were machine made but I think that is normal these days. Artesan stuff can't compete with mechanisation in terms of price and most folk wouldn't care how something was made!  There was a particular obijime that took my eye and the staff were kind enough to show it to me. At this point a man appeared and some sort of conversation went on between him and the two female assistants. I asked how long it had taken to make and once he understood the quesion he was quick to explain it took about 4 days (solid!)...he started out by getting his tape measure out....as long obviously meant measurements to him.

In the conversation with the girls, I'd told them that I did kumihimo in England - and I showed them some photos of my work. They were impressed to see temari and didn't believe the white paper flower I had made was worked on the takadai ...big smiles from them (perhaps over-politeness!).  The boss chap went off and returned with a dvd for me as a present. Whether it is of any use or not, I was very touched. I bought one packet of silk which was just within my price range but couldn't possibly have bought that lovely obi-jime - it was over £250 - far too much for me, no matter how much I liked it.

I made my way back to the station and waited again another 20 minutes. After furthr walking and hoping, I arrived at the park area - home ot the castle and the ninja museum.


 sorry folks - batteries running out again, mine and the Kindls so will try and continue on the train tomorrow. Different sort so might be possible. ttfn
e


  

2 comments:

  1. Much more interesting reading than watching England v Scotland match on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree Ann but at least England won.

    ReplyDelete