Wednesday 9 November 2016

Last day in Tokyo

Had gone through my plan last night to make sure I had ticked all the boxes apart from the Tokyo National Museum and the return to the boxwood comb shop. The only other thing I was planning was the textile shopping area - but when it came to late afternoon today I was just too tired! Did try and find an outlet of Tokyu Hands as didn't want to return to Ginza but no joy there so not good on the purchase power! There is plenty of time and lots of other towns yet to be scoured for bargains!  Also I am not yet sure what I will be doing at the end of my trip as I fly home from Tokyo Haneda airport so a trip to Ginza is possible if I stow the luggage at the station.

So back to today and a successful visit to the shop in that I was able to buy one of the combs, but unfortunately the shop only had one and I wantd a minimum of two.  They are not for using on your hair but for beautifying your tassles at the end of your kumihimo braids. 

Lovingly the saw is stroked gently back and forth to produce a row of neat and tidy teeth.
My next destination was to be the museum but the walk through the park allowed extra opportunities.  First Kiyokizu Kannondo shrine and then a statue of Saigo Takamori made of bronze, then the Gojo-tenjin Shrine and the five story pagoda of former Kan-iji.
Buddhist shrine - like the red collar!

Same as above
There are 50 of these 'candles' - used to light fires for sanctifying purposes
See below!!

Fountain fun outside the museum - waited to catch the centre row in action!
Never let it be said that the opportunity to advertise is missed! This is what's on now.
Almost missed these youngsters streaming out the gate as I fumbled to get the camera going again! Very young to be coming out of the national museum! Start them young here!
This poor statue was obviously feeling the cold already!
One of the museum buildings - only open now and then - and not today!
     
This is the front of one of the museum buildings. Ironically in my opinion the most modern building is the home of the national treasures (i.e. all the very old stuff!).





This is perhaps the best manhole cover I have ever seen!

1 comment:

  1. I can see why you like the manhole cover. Have a good trip. Is it Kyoto next?

    ReplyDelete