Sunday 20 November 2016

Beppu - other things to do!...1

After a day at the Hells it was now time to investigate the other offerings, first the bamboo museum. I had planned to walk there but listened to the advice and went by bus, but still had to ask for help to find it. Why on earth they can't give English directions when they have produced such a good instructive leaflet I  dont know!  I had to ask a sweet old codger who was shuffling down the street in his slippers. Quick as a flash he stopped, went and changed his shoes and set off, beckoning to me to follow.  In fact it was quite some distance but he seemed happy...perhaps I had given him a purpose.  He delivered me safely to the door, chuckled at my attempts to thank him and set off on his return journey with a smile.  Lovely people, especially the elderly.

The entrance way had all sorts of goodies to look at and photograph, but the rest was supposed to be a no go zone, but there were litle bits where it seemed ok, although I was not completely sure but tried to obey the rules.  Very frustrating though as there was some fantastic stuff. I felt really inspired as many of these crafts encourage you to think acoss the boundaries.

The next challenge was to find the Oita perfume museum which looked to be nearby. The bamboo museum man had said to go down th road and turn left for a bus stop.  Again I sought help but this time from a couple of young women who looked like they were on a lunch break.  One called up the path a bit to a friend who was just getting her car. Before I knew what was happening I was being persuaded into said vehicle and taken there.  It was miles away!! The driver was perhaps in her thirties and tried really hard to communicate but we only managed a few phrases. I wish I felt my brain would cope with learning Japanese but fear it is way to late. Anyway, today I had intended taking a felt flower brooch to the woman at the tourist centre as I felt she had done a bit more than her job in all the assistance/advice she had given me, but she was to be unlucky today!  I fumbled in  my rucksack and gave the driver the little gift as I felt she needed it more for her efforts! She seemed genuinely delighted!

The museum was a bit strange but there were lots of sniff opportunities. If only there had been any explanations in English it would havebeen so much better. The leaflet about the place had English with a room by oom walk through. That was all there was so I had to just make do with inhaling at every opportunity. Part of the display was a massive collection of perfume bottles and also a section about a designer (name forgotten for now!) and the process of developing the packaging to fit the perfume. Some good items to look at. There were two big panels with classification of fragrances one for women, the other  for aftershaves etc or men. It was in English so I took a good look at it to see if there was any comminality in the perfumes I like, but couldn't spot one!

 By the time I left I felt slightly muzzy from all the heavy perfumes so was looking forward to being outside. THe rain had all but abated so I decided to put my best foot forward and get undrway.  I could for once be sure which direction to go as the road was on a hill. I needed to get to the sea and walk along the coast till I came to the right spot to turn up to my place.  I had still got plenty of daylight and ambled along very happily, feeling completely relaxed. There is definitely something to be said about going with the flow. I had no further plans for the day, and felt in need of a bit of exercise - the sort you can't have lugging all that luggge.

On the way back (a walk of well over 3 miles), I came across acemetry which ept me entertained for a while looking at all the family crests...and adding to my inspiration folder of photographs.  Crests like manhole covers could be future design ideas.  got to be reason for keep snapping them up!

It started to drizzl again as I got nearer to town, and I had been keeping my open for a book shop/market that was on the way.  Eventually I came to it and went and showed my little bit of paper to the assistant. This explained the subjects that I was interested in looking at.  It turned out that this shop was actually a second hand book shop...with no books of interest. I had seen the label hobby and a sign for the nesxt floor so thought I would have a look.  This was like a huge market area with all manner of things. I found two kimonos, woven ikat types and they were incredibly cheap. If nothing else I can cut them up to remake something from the material! Might have to dump a few more T shirts to make room!!

Of course, I now had to carry them back and although they started of not being too heavy, byt hhe time I got back to my room they seemed to have gained several kilos!


Now as I am on the train, I am going oo try and add a few photos but we will have to see how it goes!  I have learnt the hard way tht I must first save my words of wisdom....then save after every photo!

The first bit of bamboo work as you go in th entranc.


Sorry - that's three times I have added another picture...I will put them in another entry....the tunnels aren't helping either!


No comments:

Post a Comment