Wednesday 16 November 2016

Matsumoto 2...as promised!

So I made it into the castle and up the steps. Lots of them....and you know that going up all the way means you have to get back down again somehow. I did resort to sitting on some of the steps and hotchcing down from step to step on my rear, undignified but at least I din't fall on my face!

These staris would be the original ones, so hundreds of years old, but then they had no handrails. So to help us poor feeble visitors dirty great long bamboo tubes are lashed together and to the framework of the castle to form bannisters.  Now think about all of the visitors in their stockinged feet walking on highly polished (through repeated us) floors. The stairs had a grip on the edge but that was all....oh and the treads were knee height, so huge steps to manage. I looked at a little Japanese lady who only came to my shoulders and couldn't help wondering how on earth she was going to climb, but I didn't spot her again and the only way was up! Can't see that health and safety features here!

 Hold on tight! Above is the grain on one of the castle's original timbers. Just think what tales it could tell if only it could talk!

Looking down on the site of one of the old reveered buildings - forgotten what it was now as have seen so much since!


Finally the tour is over and my feet are firmly back on land. I hate heights but feel that I must push myself to go around every part that is allowed as you never know what you would miss.  There was effectively a small museum in the rafters of the castle with lots of weaponry.

 Then the outside and all the glorious colours again....


Don't know where all the ninjas come from, but they always pose freely and seem to be employed by the various castles to enhance visitor impressions!
 xx

Pity about the man at the side....and the chair!! What it needed was a ninja to pull you along!

And so it is time to go elsewhere.....another temari but with good colour this time.


and another manhole cover....


Yes if you really look you will see this is a very good frog statue - well 3 frogs actually!




The official building with a clock...gosh look at the time, the train home will be going without me if I am not careful!

Another Christmas tree with goodies.


 This time they were flower balls.

    Guess what....another temari!


.......and a last look at the river and run for the train!!
There now follows a load of pictures  from the other camera I am using - fitting everything in exactly the right place is a trifle difficut so have just appended them here. Hope you don't mind - come and be my secretary if you do!!
 This is one of the many guns that were housed in the castle - at the top of course...well not the very top as that was for people to view the surrounding area from.





This is  a drawing of the kimono clad women making up the amunition, followed by a picture of the shot. 



The view overhead at the top of the castle.

 This was a biggy about 6 inches in diameter  - the others were smaller. I tried to photograph those that weren't just Chrysanthemum patterns!



Various prices from about £50 upwards depending on size and complexity. I was disappointed so many were chrysanthemum designs.  The next photo is a 'thing' (right word forgotten), that are used to decoorate shrines....I think!

Another type of doll - a bit soft as a picture but you get the idea!


Roof tiles.


A batttlecoat of the Toda clan  - and they went to battle dressed to the nines!

 See - they used their tassles then to decorate the braid that was used to decorate whatever!!!

 A mirror followd by an Oshiebana - sort of doll like figure

A model of a ship carryign the 7 deities....embroidery on the sails!

Sorry...the old fire engine jumped in ahead of time...see below for embroidery on the sails!


A fire engine from the late 1800's




 At last !  Baskets - sorry about the odd angle but am always trying to avoid lights in the picture ....or reflections.
It is yet another doll type chappie, sorry its late and I have forgotten the name....along with who I am and what I am up to!!!!    Well not completely but am getting tired now so relieved to be at the end of that day's activity.  I am only 2 days behind....thank goodness its a travelling day tomorrow with hours on the train, so if I am awake  I can do lots....in between looking out the window, reading a book, having food or drink or just day dreaming!!!!!

The yen amount on the ticket is about £60 or so....maybe Ashby Magna stitchers could be making a fortune!

 That is the end of Matsumoto....now only got Takayama and Nagoya to do...till tomorrow my time!! Night night...it is only 1.04 a.m.!!!


1 comment:

  1. Having a virtual world tour at present. Natasha back from Florida with photos. Magic Kingdom and temari balls - strange mix!

    ReplyDelete