Monday 7 November 2016

Beginning of week 2 already!

Seems hard to believe it in one way, but it is over a week since my adventure started. I only have two more full days in Tokyo before it will be time to move house again but I have already booked the next hotel - don't want to leave it too late as fearful of getting something decent.  The hotel here is tiny but has survival kitchen appliances so worth putting up with the lack of space. Did I tell you I had to re-arrange furniture so that I could lay my suitcase on the floor to open it. The room is 10 sqm, but by the time the furniture is taken into account - and the bathroom there is no space to swing a mouse, let alone a cat!

My plan is to post the wordsrelating the activities in one post, and thn add the photos - and will continue in this manner. It will make sure something is there each day - have added to esterday's post as was unabl to complete it last nght as th battery ran out of charge and I can't plug it in if the mouse dongle is connected!  Just so you know, I have 2 Kindles with me and am trying to use them consecutively to back up images and do the blog - using my mobile wifi and the hotel's freebie - but one is much slower than the other!

On to today - most important think that had to be achieved today was to exchange my rail pass voucher for the pass itself. Now I can use trains freely but hadn't realised that the subway trains aren't included. I am using a Suica card that I purchased early on - soon I will have to add credit to it. It is an excellent method to use for all trasport as it savees queues at ticket offices etc. Just swipe on the large button and the mini-doors open and off you go. I am not sure about the price of a typical subway journey but they don't seem that expensive (code for I still have credit!).

Anyway, mission accomplishd I decided to take a look at the Imperial Palace gardens as I was so near.......but it is Monday.........they are closed!  I knew but had forgotten but wasn't too bothered as had plans to see three other gardens today as most museums etc are closed.  I wandered around the outer area of the palace and couldn't help but be impressd by the amount of space that it takes up - bigger than Buckingham Palace from what I can see.
 So when I reached a subway entrance I used it as the reason to change venue, and headed for Rikugien Gardens. Found th right station, and the way out of th complex, but became my sister for a while and walked (far to far!) in the wrong direction! When I came to Tokyo University I knew there was a problem as that is nowhere near the gardens!Luckily a Japanese couple approached me as i was looking at the map - I think they picked up my despair and th cries coming from my tired feet!! They took me to th locla bus stop and hailed it for me - and explained to the driver that I needed to go to the gardens.  I had asked if I could walk before hte bus was spotted - the lady - really sweet - looked at me in horror and said "tloo far....go bus!!"  When I had been on a grand tour of Bunkyo-ku for 20 minutes we arrived at bus stop 24 - the gardens! Only just around the corner...I had got on at stop 6! Exercise is good for you I keep thinking!!

The gardens were lovely so I hope you will agree when you look at the photos.  Time was getting on so got to get a move on to the next on the list. This was to be the Koishikawa Korakuen gardens - but by subway!!  I managed to find the entrance after a little help - had to walk over a flyover this time and there were several possibilities so I checked first with a chap in a shop!

 These gardens were a similar style - what is known as kaiyu-style or strolling gardens. Designed for you to peruse from all directions as you meander along in a meditative manner.  Or in my case as you dot form spot to spot and back or forward and tehn back again, all to try and get the best viewwpoint. I would have liked to have been at both gardens for longer, but hte clock ticks much faster when I have a camera in my hand. It is dusk by 4.30 and dark by 5p.m.  The final photo tries to show you the setting around the gardens - like everywhere else I have been to, new surrounds old - if you only want old in the photo you have to zoom in well! 
 The backdrop to the Koishikawa Korakuen is hte Tokyo Sky dome, more multi story offices and a large amusement park the rides of which are visible above the trees!

Oh well, all things ancient and modern - in my case th kit is modern but I am feeling decidedly ancient tonight....really should know better than to just keep walking but when the sun is shining (with the addition of a cold wind today), your thoughts are elsewhere soaking up the 'culture'.

Now I will tackle the long list of photos - oh and som are more toilet related!  Forgot to say yesterday and perhaps the day before as well....yes I am having my regulation ice cream, even though it is ot always the weather for it. Today's was mixed bellies!!
sn



1 comment:

  1. Remember that your feet are attached to your body and if they scream you should listen to them. Really glad you are enjoying yourself x

    ReplyDelete