Tuesday 1 November 2016

Day 3/Tuesday and what a start!

Before I start today's news, I just need to add a little to finish yesterday....Yes it is not a rumour, I had a Big mac etc for my first hot food meal in Japan! Lovely and warm and a hot drink which was very welcome as I was tired out.

Thats my excuse and I promise not to do it every day!

Eventually went to bed and had a good night, bed 'different' to home and only me in it too so was glad had brought bed socks as really needd them!
Spent a bit more time getting organised and had breakfast as planned and finally was on my way to explore at about 9.30.  Had looked out of the window and looked down from my 5th floor to the little people below - noted warm jackets but after being hot yesterday, didn't opt for thick hat or scarf. This was a shame as could have don with them, but am wiser now.After checking out best route set off for first Ainu museum. Not sure of scale of map but was told 'quite near' and walk ok', so off I went with map in hand.  I was just looking at the map at the first junction as needed to be sure on left/right choice when a 'vey nice man' as mum would have said, stopped to ask if I was ok. To cut a lengthy tale short he worked for Radio Japan, had been to ngland once...London and Stratford...see Shakespeare...and he spoke English at a good level. The Japanese, not WS!! Anyway I explained where I was going, he checked my map, and that it was a museum - he was unaware of it, and he first offered to show me part the way, but changed his mind n route and took me all the way there - into lobby and directed me to the museum on the 7th floor.Outside it looked like a modern large office block but inside the Ainu something or other Association had part of the floor for cultural organisation and educational purposes.  There were classrooms, meeting assembly hall, used for displays but not today, a library and the small museum.

Although not an enormous amount of artefacts the quality was good and what I was looking for.  I dont want to go into detail now, but I learned alot from examining the costumes etc. After an hour or so I left and went across the road to a botanical garden as thought it would be good to have a walk outside even though it was quite fresh, to say the least!  Lots of lovely autumn colours, trees, leaves, ponds and space, so a happy time was spent with the camera. I did bcome a little confused by what at first I thought might be seedheads in the air - until one landed on the camera lens and I realisd it was a snowflake!! Not long after I went inside for a while into the greenhouse - for a warm and look around.  Th phto above is just ne of the glorious specimens on show.
 ***
Photo for Lesley will be inserted at some point!
 ***
Amongst the trees was a smallish building which turned out to house another Ainu museum so needless to say I was in there like a shot.  Met an Australian couple and had a natter about Ainu costumes and method of making - Mrs Aus was not a textile person but was interested enough to ask more and we had a chat for a while  They are off to Fiji on Friday when I head for Tokyo!  Again spent a good time investigating, such that when I emerged it was already later than I expected so decided to investigate the town rather than head for another museum - that will be on the agenda tomorrow or Thursday, depending on the weather.

Shops are huge and expensive - don't know how the locals afford to live - prices are London style but lots of Japanese are shopping! Found a subterranean world 2 levels down where amongst other things was a performance area with a dance troup and various other acts at work. 

***photos to follow ***

Also a small display of about a dozen modern panels of Ainu work and a little photo display promoting the museums (not sure if it was the ones I found or not!). 

As it is Chrysanthemem festival time, there was a 'local' show and I was told by a Canadian lady I met watching the dancers that there were over a 1,000 chrysanthemums on show so obviosly I had to have look! Eat your heart out Dad!!  I have to admit to being overcome by emotion at first, as looking at the blooms brought back many memories which my family will understand.  As children, we grew up with regular duties to perform if we wanted to go on a holiday. Our Dad had been a very keen and successful chrysanthemum grower and judge, and was recognised for his contribution to this unknown to many gardening world, known as the National Chrysanthemum Society - NCS if I remember correctly - and I think it also included dahlias, but that most folk will be unaware of.

My day of activities ended with shopping for food for a meal back at the hotel.  I have certain provisions with me from home, but supplemented soup with some vegetable sushi - first real japanese food this holiday, accompanied by a vegetable 'thing' that I can't think of a good descriptive word for - basically vegetable paste in some sort of coating that had been deep fried. Eaten cold proved to be good and filling. Had no room for fruit and yoghurt so that will be breaka tomorrow! Then it was time for family communications and the 'blog job'.


As it is now late and the battery is low (hadn't noticed charging cable had com out - grr!!) - will have to wait till the morning to insert photos.  I have two Kindles with me, one I am using now while the other is theorhetically  copying the images from the compact flash card to the cloud....apart from the fact that I have just noticed it has only done about half and it has stopped. What is more it doesn't want to let me restart uness I pick each image one at a time.  Another technical hitch to be overcome!  Please be patient with me as I will sort the problem soon........any help that can be suggested ?Paula or Cath will be handy!! So for now I will say a slightly deflated night night!




3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work,will try to be available about my lunchtime if you want to Skype. Have fun love Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you've arrived safely Sylvia. Impressed that you're using a tablet to write these long posts - are you using a keyboard? Sounds like the adventures have started already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting reading, Sylvia. Look forward to seeing the photos.

    ReplyDelete