Tuesday 22 November 2016

Mondays are difficult...so go shopping...sort off

So I decided to go to Osaka today because most museums are closed everywhere because it's Monday. Didn't have a plan for going anywhere in Osaka apart from the castle, as I know there was a monthly market at the Tennoji Temple.  That was likely to take much of the day.  First I had to get there!Left Okayama on time for a straightforward trip...or so I thought. I hadn't taken into account that I had to change trains at Shin-Osaka and thta station was enormous and badly signposted for the tourists! Somhow or other I managed to transfer to the right bit and got the connction to Osaka.  Then the trouble started! I walked what felt like miles up and down subways, trying this way and that to get to the surface near an information office. There is one at all big stations - finding it was a problem and I needd a map and directions....Eventually I find the office - in the subway
not at ground level. I quite possibly went past it at last twice!

Finally I am off, with map in hand, and need to find an underground station for a specific line....I see it on all the maps but could I find it??  At last a couple of Japanese people took me - or got me to follow, as they were going that way too. I think the husband knew the route but the wife didn't seem to agree too much! When we had been walking about 15 minutes I could see purple train signs which meant we were on track, so to speak!
 Left to my own devices I think I would be still fighting my way out now!

So catch the train and get out at the right place, but which way to go next?....I just followed the general flow as I had been told the markets are extremely popular.  I was late by local standards, but as it went on all day, I wasn't worried. It was a cross between a car boot, antique fair and normal market....lots of interesting things and odd food kiosks and cooking stalls.... had no idea what some of the things were.  I avoided disaster at the last moment as had tasted a few dried fruits on a stall, and was working my way along the samples,  dried orange, cranberry, fig, crystallised ginger and what is that....I luckily asked the stall holder as it turned out to be black garlic ....YUCK!!! and phew that I didn't risk it!

I did try some seaweed tea which tasted better than epected....learned from my sister afterwards that it is similar to using sea-water which the Africans do when they need to purge themslves.......funny as my stomach has been off today!!!
I had  a good root around and bought an obi and some braids because I liked them and they were cheap.  I resistd a kimono, a bit expensive compared to other stalls, but kicked myself as I think it was lovely....and also turned down an obi that I wish I had bought.  Again the asking price was too dear and when I said that, the stall holder shrugged, so no deals to be made with him!I watched the cooking of som sort of egg and pancake dish with pils of veg on/in...and thn tried one. Basically there is a layer of flour and ? water mixed in with something, laid on the griddle. Handfuls of grated mouili radish and other things is piled on the top and stirred about a bit....then a hole is made in the centre and a raw egg droped into the hole.  Within seconds the 'omelette' I will call it, is turned over and soon cooked. It was on a plate in front of me very promptly, time to tuck in.  It was fine,  not like anything we have at home...well the egg was an egg and a really good colour but the rest....ok, not brilliant!! Needed some sauce but not theirs!! Oh no, that would be a disaster if ever there was one!
 Eventually I tired of resisting the bargains and decided to head to the castle, so first retrace my steps to get to the station, then a simple 4 stops back and off we go again.

The castle was Ok, not as good as some and bettter than others. Climbed about 150 to 200  steps and all that was at the top was the view!  Good explanations about the golden tigers, dolphin and chrysanthemums though. There was a big screen with the story of  the  Summer wars, so that made it come to life a bit.   8th floor, average 24 steps per floor plus a load of steps to gt to the ground level inside as you enter from below the first floor inside.




 sorry falling asleep...will do more tomorrow. ttfn

 Had to show you this..taken on train...hard to see but nail varnish was only on half each nail and made a triangle...all diagonals same direction! Bizarre and time consuming to say the least!
 
Followed by ...market...elastic anyone?

.







Ah ha!!! is that braids I spy....




Nice fruit but dear!

 Don't panic folks more photos coming in a short while - in separate post for technical reasons!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounded fun Andy and I would of tried to walk round all the market. Hope you took some pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete