Thursday 3 November 2016

Serendipity is by my side!

So I started the day at a bit of a slow pace, but it didn't last!  Today I took life in my hands again and decided to test more transport options, this time the destination was the Historical village of Hokkaido.  So today it was my first subway experienc (that means underground/metro) to you and I.  First one stop on the Namboku line (green), then transfer at Odori to the Tozai line (orange) and now the easy bit - stay on the train until  reaching Shin Sapporo station. (10 stops). Now take the bus from the bus station at departure point 10 at 2p.m. Now I have missed a vital part of the instructions here because this is what I did!  However my guardian angel was watching over me and made sure i was looking where we were going.
.
  I was lucky that I happened to spot a huge traffic sign pointing right at a major junction....and the bus continued ahead!  I was up out of my seat and beside the driver like a shot - just as he stopped at a bus stop for people to get on.  Glad there was a small queue as it gave me the opportunity to ask him where was the village. He pointed to the right so I disembarked and double checked the route with a young couple with a toddler in pushchair.  Mrs toddler mummy spoke a few words  of English and i was able to ascertain they believed the place I wanted was 'up there' about 30 minutes! No more buses in sight so crossed the road and started up the hill. After a while a number 22 bus passed sedately by - that was the vital bit of the info I had forgotten!  Always check the vehicle you are on is the right one for where you want to go!  Luckily the bus I had caught was going in the right direction as I could have endd up in the Japanese equivalent of Timbuktu!! So I knew I was heading in ht eright dirction so jus tkept going looking a every building suspiciosly as i now know that venues don't always look like I might expect.  After a few minutes I came to large car park.  This was for the Hokkaido museum where I had thought I would go after the village.  Keep walking thought I.  Watching my footing as it was slippery as there was a slight covering of snow, I followed my nose an finally came to a further bus and car park and an impressive building up a flight of steps. Best foot forward and I had found my destination and clocked in at 2.30 - only 20 minute wak, not 30!

The village is described as 'an outdoor museum where buildings from the Meiji, Taisho and early Showa periods were relocated from throughout Hokkaido and restored on one site.'

It would have been fabulous if the sky had obliged and been a bright blue with the odd cloud, the fog wasn't coming down and it had been warmer - or even colder as that would have stopped the thawing trees dripping on me!  Alas it is November and you have to make the best  of the weather you have, grey/white skies and all!

The buildings were laid out in little streets and there were a couple of ponds and vegetation of various colours to add interest. Most buildings had model people in them carrying out an assortment of tasks. You could go into many of the properties but had to take your shoes off every time - after a couple I decided not to bother as it was too much trouble - especially given the weather!

 I have to admit I was impressed and had a most enjoyable afternoon, so much so that I passed on the Hokkaido museum as it had closed.  Slightly annoying as I had bought a joint museum ticket, but that was stupid on my part given the time of arrival!

Making my way home I decided to add a few more people and general shots to my photo-reportage.  Very soon now you might even get to see some of them. Don't forget to check the earlier posts quickly as I might have added more things for you to look at.

 After dining in comfort on a large warm bowl of soup and some deep fried omelette balls it was time to tackle  the technology. Will be fitting in images all being well but I might just add a load at the end here and do the same for the other days...watch this space!
This one is actually from yesterday, but better than nothing. It is outside the south side of Saapporo sttion



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you managed to avoid a disaster. I don't suppose Street View would have helped here. Perhaps too far off the beaten track.

    ReplyDelete