Tuesday 15 November 2016

Matsumoto - high into the hills....part complete

After the usual early start, got the train etc and all went as per the instructions. Got to Matsumoto and collected a map from the tourist office and set off........in the wrong direction....but in my defense it is impossible to know which exit you are supposed to take out of the station. They are all big, some massive, so the fact that I am getting where I am is amazing! The picture above is from the wrong side of the station and shows how advanced Autumn colours are.

The two shots above are the right side of the station. Don't kno ho the statue is - no doubt I will find out later!  Here below are a few photos from the train journey here - may not be the best quality but gives an idea of the terrain.




Matsumoto is supposed to be the centre for Temari - stitched decorative balls - I was hoping to find lots of different patterns etc but that was not to be - more of that later!
After leaving the station I first had a wander towards the castle. I did go the wrong way at first but soon realised my error....components on my map were missing!!

Looking good if the  manhole covers have temari on them!


 I have learned now that the best thing to do is get the outdoors things done first then museums as once it passes a certain time photos are not as easy for one reason or another. Could be too bright, or too dull or too dark! So in theory I have a strategy.......of course that all depends on the locations of the sites I want to visit.  I have also had to accept that using public transport or my feet will not enable me to go to every place I planned.  Partly down to the time involved and I am not inclined to use taxis all the time - I tried that in Kyoto to some extent last time and even then didn't get to the right place, all trying when you have no Japanese language skills!

As with anywhere there are more than one way to get there...so I decided to see what the flower clock was as it was near to hand. The time was right too!

The folk seem to think it's time to trim the streets for Christmas.......in my mind that's ages yet!


 So continuing my walk to th castle I am happy to see such lovely colours with a blue sky....so much better than the white or pale grey skies of death (to photographers that is!).



 I was looking in shops and the windows along the way as they are much more interesting than ours - this is a cake shop.....with temari used as a prop for making the food look goood. Cakes in progress above!

I asked what they were made of as I wasn't sure at first if they were cheeses, but no they are rice flour cakes. The assistant said they were  good and gave me a sample to taste. Yummy, but a bit early in the day for cakes.  I asked if Japanese people liked to eat a lot of cake and she confirmed my suspicions.....I see the queues waiting at night and they all want cake! They must have been listening when 'she' said "let them eat cake"....surprised they heard her all the way over in Japan, but there has to be a reason for it!!

 Still on the right track!
 Think they look good with a bit of paint on.

Everywhere seems to have an eye-sore metal tower, but they can come in handy when you are navigationally challenged!

A local shop or restaurant - who knows when you can't understand the heiroglyphics!

Onwards past a gallery with flower arrangements around -
I couldn't go in without taking boots off - not enough incentive this time!

and a small front garden


Door curtain - bad reflection but I liked it!
I can't remember for the life of me what these are called but they looked lovely all in a row.


Stamps for sale - all sorts of shapes and sizes - rubber stamps for crafters but coud be risky as no telling what they say!

A few for Ruth and any other frogophobes ....I might have invented that word!! Dont know if these are the frogs, as I am chosing from a tiny version of the image...if not they will appear along the way!



You would have loved it inside as very single thing was froggy! I think one of the Gods is a frog....might have dreampt that too
 Pity about the shadow!!





Yes these are not frogs - they are flowers!!

Street views




 Little perisher!  Followed by another right little poser!

Street market at th Tori



Budding artist at work - doing well - his work resembed the subject matter and how he judged proportion with them moving I have no idea, but they looked good to me!


A street market by the tori gates.


Finally made it to the castle. A useful map - telling you there is a castle and a large moat!
 Poor doggie doesn't get to walk anywhere - might gete his little paws dirty!
 And the fabulous castle reflected in the moat. Only problem it was so big with all the tres and the red bridge - I needed a panoramic camera!




I decided to walk all the way round to check for more reflections before I went inside.

More posers - this time would be ninja!

Finally made it inside the castle - lots of stairs - yuck!!


This is the view from part way up the castle...you wouldn't believe how steep the stairs are - you wouldn't be allowed to have access in the UK - especially when you are in your stocking feet. Always in buildings you have to take off your shows to potect the treasured buildings. Annoying but wise as there is no telling what is on people's feet!

Will continue this is another post - Matsumoto 2! Won't go on toooooooo much but the blasted thing keeps losing the work I have just done so have to stop and save every small addition just to be sure! grrr!!!

2 comments:

  1. Would absolutely love a little Japanese frog hint hint xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fruits hanging up are physalis. Our favourite North Wales hotel had a phase of putting them on everything one year.

    ReplyDelete