Tuesday 22 November 2016

Okayama day today ..(Tuesday)....and it is sunny!


Lovely day, but frustrating on several fronts. At the end of the day, having walked miles, I tried to find craft stuff again in shops and no go....settled for kimono section as this is always  a joy. (Apart from the prices which would make you weep!)  There were some different looking outfits advertised - think it was an old leaflet as it was all about Memorial Day which I believe is May 3rd....anyway, the outfits were not like normal kimono but more like a kimono worn with a skirt over the top. In the photos some were also worn with lovely little ankle boots....very nice!  Didn't like the look with a kimono blouse, I will call it, and a wrapped around skirt that came high as it was worn with a matching obi, but not  fancy one.
 Anyway I gave up the hunt and will try and find somewhere in Kyoto....I know they exist!


So leaving the hotel, it is time to enjoy the sunshine and get the real purpose of the day started.  First as there was an early morning market along by the river, I thought I would take a look there as I could walk that way to the castle. I knew it was a fair walk as everytime I asked about walking or buses, I was told to go to the station. The bus station is there as well and I don't think there are any or many tourist type buses that go all over the place, just one to the castle and gardens. As the station is in the other direction and about 3/4 a mil at least, i would rather walk the same distance towards where I want to go. I get the impression the Japanese think we can't walk far or maybe they know the maps lie!!
 I was hapy snapping away as I followed the route as you never know what little thing you might spot along the way. Just as well really as the market site was bare....so must ony be on certain days. Not to worry as I was enjoying the walk.

Next stop the castle.  Now this one was diffferent as it wasn't another white wedding cake on the top of a hill as it was clad in dark boarding. I liked the look of it!  The grounds were pleasant and there was plenty of 'art' stuff to look at as well.  There is an Art Summit on at the moment and you never know when you will come across something as the entries are spread across the city and some also on display in a gallery.....more on that later!

So explored the castle and all the steps as usual, although here as there wasn't a crowd I went up in the lift!! Still had to come down all the steps though as not allowed the use of the lift!

After I had checked out the outside from every possible angle, I headed north to the gardens - Korakuen Gardens to be exact.  I have really enjoyed the strolling gardens of Japan especially where water is involved. I have also decided I like th wonderful shapes that the pine trees grow into....wouldn't mind one in the garden but not sure I would live long enough to watch it flourish!!

So Castle and gardens ticked off, tim to head to museum country...the one I was keen to go to had noh costmes etc etc so was really looking forward to it.  It meant walking back sough along th route I had come along earlier....sunny day, expecting great sites, I can put up with th action replay.......apart from when I arrived - found it with no problem, but, there seems to be lots of buts today......The Art Summit had taken ovr th entire museum and there were no 'original' pieces on view. COme back another time....Lik in January!!  Grrrr!! was what I thought.  I could have gon to the Summit exhibition but tickets were about £10 and I had seen quite a few bits around the city and although they were all interesting, I could see enugh wihtout paying for the pleasure!  TH staff were very helpful and suggested i go to anothr of th local museums as it should have the sort of thing I was hoing for.....Guess where it was....only back at the top of the garden area.....so action replay and headed back to the said place.
I wouldn't want you to think I was a slouch or whatever but these walks between a and b are aabout 20 minutes a pice, so a fair distance, but I will do alot in the cause of my investigations.....My navigation skills were going great guns today and I fund the museum easily.....but.......it wasa closed!!!!  I will let you imgine my thoughts as they are not really printable!!

So, what cana girl do bu consult the map again.....time was getting on but all the museums were open till 5 with last entry at 4.30.  I still had time for a final attempt so ecided to goto the Modern Art gallery...more out of desperation than anything else..Now it was open, it was a bit pricey but the girl on the desk told me I could see 2 exhibitions for the price.  I had com this far so thought I woud give it a go and luckily started with the larger of the two.I think my guardian aangl had been looking after me really because when I went inside and read the blurb....in English...and of a high standard...I was delighted to see that this was a special exhibiton put on to showcas the work of teh creme de la creme of traditianal craftspeople.  It ws a selected exhibition and th entries on view did not run consecutively as thre were lare gaps in the numbering.  I can only conclude that the judges did not consider the work of a high enough standard to be included.  There were seven categories and tetiles was one, so I was in luck. From memory the other categories were ceramics, bamboo and something else togther as a category, metalcraft, dolls, urushi (I think...doing this from memory so can't recall which place my notes are...) and the final calssification was 'other' which included cloisonne and a few other things.  Still not sure what the urushi completely entailed but it is lacquer work....I think it is any form of the correct stuff no matter what it is applied to.  

The standard ws exceptional...I asked what th  textiles included but did't g very far...yes embroidery and kumihimo were included......there was one and only one obijime and one piece - a kimono, with a tiny bit of embroidery on it, but not really what I was hoping to see.  The majority of the textiles were all kimono that had been dyed in one way or another.....or hand woven, or hand printd with traditional methods.  They were wonderful to see but as usual, no photography allowed. I had thought about buying the catalogue but in the end didn't get a chance as by the time I had exhausted the first exhibition and started the second which was tiny, the announcement came that the museum was closing!  I was allowd a walk through the remainder of the second bits but even if allowed I don't think it would have taken me any longer....by comparison it was  in my opinion, total rubbish....not a fan of weird shaped objects painted garish colours ....maybe that makes me a philistine, but I don't care!!

 I am sorry for all th spelling mistakes I am making, there isn't a spell checker within this application, so can only do my best and spend most time tryng to spot all the omitted letters and stick them in!!

So 5 o'clock had passed and I was back pounding the pavements to return, somewhat exhaused, to my hotel.  I stopped off on the way for provisions but stuck to simple fodder as my tummy had been 'difficult' all day....perhaps some of the samples I have had don't suit me....I have no idea what is in some of these things so always taking  a chance!

Back at the ranch later I had been planning repacking and weighing everything...can't weigh the case packed as it is too blasted heavy to manage...but when it came to it I couldn't be bothered and put it off till tomorrow!




Only slightly different from the first one, but for completeness sake!

Part way to the non existent market....they don't go in for pretty these days!


Bikes are big businss here........liked the sign!

Just to show the scale of things....


Wondered what was going on here...
.

Oh that's all right....they are fishing!




Another crest for the collection...


With art installation........and without!





The castle!


 arty shot....not a large pair of specs but lights for enhancing the castle by floodlight!

View from the top of the castle....




Fancy this as a weaving project??




You could dress up for a photo shoot if you felt inclined.....



More kusudama flower balls to you and I.....





Art Summit strikes again....with the parasoles....



The grass could do with a bit of a water....














Parasoles anyone??

Art attack!!


Have we been invaded?


What a careless person has left behind...






Now for the last one of the day...

















No comments:

Post a Comment