Sunday 20 November 2016

Oita for the day as it is raining! Saturday 19th.

The title sums up the weather - after a night of very loud thunderstorms, I awoke to light rain and a dismal sky, so I needed to find an indoor activity.  I headed to the station with two possibilities in mind and just plummed for the one that was nearer. I had asked at information if there were good museums at Oita, the capital of the prefecture and the reply was that there were two, one only recently opened.  So the decision was made!

The train trip was short - only about 20 minutes (using my tmporary pass successfuly, although much scutinized!) and I was soon at the Oita tourist bit getting my map and instructions. The rain had stopped for a while so I headed up to the remains of the old castle....now it resembled a car park! I clambered up a hill to the viewing area but it didn't look much better....there was a little garden area so I investigated that before deciding to move on! Wary of getting caught in a downpour and not wanting to be in wet togs all day!

I walked the short distance (10 or so minutes) to the next bit of my day - OPAM, Oita Prefecture Art Museum. This was the place that hadn't been opened long and was extremely spacious, modern and really very pleasing. I wouldn't want to live in these sorts of places but as exhibition spaces, they are excellent.  There were several things tht caught my eye, but one of th main delights was an installation of work by Reiko Sudo...hope I have his/her name spelt right. This was really good - large and I mean massive, suspended light shade-like things made of origami folded 'paper' ....now I am saying paper as that is what it appeared to be - some form of washi perhaps? I know from other work of hers/his? that looks can deceive - many past works have used extremely innovative textiles - mixes of metallics and fine thread fibres - steel and silk etc. Think of all theose fabulous yarns that Habu sell and you will be on the right lines.  I am no expert on any of this, I am just telling you my impressions and thoughts. Others of you out there will perhaps be very familiar with this type of work and know what it is.
 Anyway, apart from the sheer scale and all tht accurate folding, I saw the works again later from above and was taken by the top of them - just like the baskets I had seen yesterday.

 Reiko's installation was on the side of the building which was all glazed, giving visibility to the public as they passed by. At the end of the gallery were 2 other things - one a playful indoor swimming pool, mini sized, with a holographic surface as the water - very clever. It was to be experienced and a young family had their shoes off and were testing it all out!

The other was a load of clocks showing times around the world. All had weights - one a Japanese doll, the other a hand grenade.  Odd combination but obviously tying to make a point on something.

 In the main foyer there was work by a Dutch artist - these took their shape from eggs but the scale was something else. Again massive is the word!  They were made from some sort of slightly stretchy laminated material and were all printed with multi-coloured designs. Unusually, I was invited to push gently against on- strange feeling as it moved on its weightd base.  Anybody remember weebles that wobble but wont fall down (c.1975 - kids toys?) - there was a lot of similarity!  Again I was prompted to wonder what provokes these ideas....same sort of thing as starting a bowl and making it into a dog, when you are dabbling with your ply splitting I suppose!!

Upstairs was a research reference library where I could have happily spent the day looking at the pictures in the books.....and the kanji wondering what it said! Found a couple with English in - one lovely one on jellyfish and the other on seaweed.....both titles and ISBN's noted just in case! Sort of thing someone could buy me for a birthday or Christmas!!!!

Further along were a few galleries of art works but although I looked it wasn't to my taste.  On the top floor there was another installation, this being the work of three 'sculptors', one in glass, the other two using different forms of ceramics.  The majority of peices had an underwater theme to my eye.  The installation was in an eliptical roof space that was open to the elements but visible to the public by way of enormous curved glass windows, floor to ceiling...Grand Designs take note!...all this seemed to fit perfectly...mind you there is no telling how long they waited for the glass!!
Very impressed with all I had seen it was soon time to head back for the train home.  I was aware that I needed to pack and sort out what to do with the reluctant suitcase, so had to be mindful of the time. There are far to few hours in the days here.....hmmm...I alays think that though!   The remainder of the day was uneventful and first thing I did when I got in was sit with my feet up for a while, cup of tea in one hand and TV control in the other. I have been watching the Sumo tournamnt from Fukuoka all week....trying to work out what its all about and work out who I think will win. I have been cheering whenI think a chap has done well.  Yesterday one of the contestants was a European - and he won that bout.  Although there are horrendous mounds of wobbling flab, there is a huge amount of posturing and trying to psych out the other competitor.....all very amusing to me. The referees wear really ornate costumes that look more Manchu than Japanese to me....lovely fabrics....you would chuckle if you could hear all of my comments!

Photos will be added later....when I have enough batter life...down to 4%...quick, mst save this and get plugged in. ttfn!!





1 comment: