Tuesday 22 October 2019

Day 13 Tuesday 22nd October

Started today with watching on tv as the new Emperor was making his way in the rain to his enthronement.  I knew about this by chance yesterday as I had seen a calendar somewhere on someone’s phone or tablet and there was special coloured kanji for the day.  Didn’t know what but assumed it might be a holiday. Was aware this might affect my plans....

I continued where I had left off yesterday and started having a look at the 21st century contemporary art museum....the place was heaving inside and I decided to give it a miss for today. I can return if it rains and I need a place to go!

Started off with the Prefecture museum of art conservation centre. This was very interesting as a guide explained how old documents were being repaired and conserved. I also watched a chap restoring some lacquer work sections of a door. He has over 40 years experience ....used a wooden flat stick like tool to spread the lacquer...a brush, no matter how fine, would leave ridges.  It certainly looked smooth and really glistened. After applying lacquer the wooden struts are put into a kiln to dry, if necessary two surfaces are done first, then dried before the third edge is treated.  Workshops were available in the afternoon, without the need to book, so I planned to return later.

After this I followed arrows to go to the DTSuzuki museum as had read about it. The path was lovely as took you away from the road through pretty greenery. The steps were very difficult but one at a time I made my way up. Went through the gardens of the Honda  family, passing the remains of their old family clan home. Downhill is not as bad, but going up is too painful to do normally as it causes sev ere pain in my left hip.  The right isn’t pain free but nothing like the left!

The Suzuki museum is a space for study and contemplation. Surrounded by a man made ‘moat’ and pond the square white building is extremely modern. Reflections were ok but would have benefited from more blue in the sky! Very peaceful place!  I benefitted from it being a special day as today there was no entrance fee!

Next I spotted a sign to a small garden so wandered along on the flat rock stepping stones. They are about 3 or 4 inches above the soil/moss level and avoid you getting wet or dirty, very Japanese.

I would have visited the Nagamura art museum nearby, but it was closed! My feet were complaining and it was lunchtime so returned to Kenrokuen gardens for ice cream, a rest and further explore.

Still resisted the gold leaf ice cream as it seems such a waste to eat it! Before I knew it, I had to leg it pronto back for a calligraphy class. Really enjoyed this and was the only student and had personal translator. Learned about the history of writing and how to use an ink stone and brush.  It was not easy but teacher seemed pleased with my final efforts. Apparently it is good if you run out of ink as you end the strokes, especially if evidence of the direction is apparent. It shows good character in the writer, or something along those lines. We don’t have a way of expressing it!  Very difficult to keep the brush vertical and held lightly, as if you had an egg in your hand next to the brush. There are three modes of moving the brush, straight with an abrupt stop, with a flick at the end or with a diminishing amount of pressure at the end of the stroke....forget what word they used now!  Anyway I was pleased with my first efforts and had enjoyed the lesson.

My plan had been to follow on with the gold leaf class but hadn’t realised it was in another venue. I went as fast as I could but arrived to late to take part today. I was however allowed to watch.people were applying the gold leaf over a stencil transfer onto a lacquer-like small dish or plate, a bit smaller than a saucer.  I am curious about what glue is used, so hope to discover that and get some as it is
different from what is used for embroidery.

Back to the gardens for the last hour, but light still bad! Enjoyed the wander but definitely beginning to flag!  Returned to hotel via McDonalds as had finally spotted one!

My package from Iga had arrived and I was surprised at the cost...830yen, so somewhere around £6! Much better than I expected, but must be more careful! Got tooth brush on charge without delay!

So now for the photos, sorry for the order but will try to label them!
21st century contemporary art gallery


Artist’s work - especially liked this one.

As before


Fish at a shrine....footprints were for sale with prayers so perhaps there is a fish god?

Shrine with all the prayers from yesterday. Returned today and followed this path.  Guess it’s another project not yet completed, all it needed was the concrete and a man to stick the poles in!

Little shrine
Another art work from gallery
And another shrine
Flowers in gallery


Prefecture museum of art

Queue at 21sr century!

Another go at the balls!

Prayers again

Balls again with blue sky
Art
Lion god at shrine

Lovely purple berries, one of the few colours that isn’t green! 
Moss
Dragonfly
This was taken to show the rain chain from the outlet of the guttering down to the ground....safe without big drips and you can see it!

Noticed the rope end on this shrine

Lantern in a hallway...trying to be artistic!

Again the ladies were hard at it
Stats by man made waterfall

Going for a stroll in a strolling garden!

Bamboo trees, straight and so tall!

More miss etc

Stairs outside flats, there is another set at the opposite end but they are spiral...see below!


Warning!


Spirals

A small cemetery

Directions, note the steps!


That shrine again

A door on old building, liked the grain!


Stencil choice for gold leaf work



Suzuki museum



Is she looking at us?

Legs? What happened to the rest of him?


Girl looking at?

Fatso with calligraphy

Rain chain close up


Gold ice cream on green tea flavour!


? Obelisk for something or someone!

Fungi get here too!



Autumn colour, not that much yet!



It’s free! Yippee!







1 comment:

  1. Recognising some of these places. Loved Kanazawa when I went there and would like to return. Please pass on any good maple leaf photos as I need inspiration for my Final Dress Up phase 8 piece :-)

    ReplyDelete