Thursday 7 November 2013

Update from Mont Fuji - for Tuesday

Hi Folks - I am now back from my latest escapade and am updating the blog retrospectively! I prepared teh entries as you will read and am now adding them for your pleasure!! Will do the same with the other one from last night but for the moment theses won't have any photos.  I will add them tomorrow as it will take too long tonight.  Here you go then - as I wrote it on Tuesday....

This is the best that I can do for an entry for the blog for today.
This is more than I expected to be able to do, so shouldn't complain too much.  I have rented a Japanese laptop as I expected to be able to use it for email and the web, including updating the blog.
However it is old and I think the software is so ancient that blogger seems to put out a preventative message. As it is in Japanese - it could be anything... still I have found something that is a word processing software so let's see how that works short term. When I am back in Kyoto I will, I hope be able to copy and paste this document into the blog, but in the meantime, I will send it to a few people!

Today has been very interesting and quite demanding in terms of nerve. I got up quite early so that I could be in the queue on the right platform for the bullet train to come to Mount Fuji area.  I tried to book a seat yesterday but all the reserved seats were gone so I had to chance it. The journey form Kyoto was roughly 2.5 hours and extremely comfortable. My only worry was being sure to get off the train at the right place. Anyway, I managed - I am not intrepid for nothing!!
 

The next leg of the journey was via bus from just around the corner from the train station at  Shin Fuji.  The bus was also ok for comfort but not in the same league as the train. It took over 2 hours on the bus - at a cost of about 15 pounds single direction - strange keyboard - no pounds sign and several other things missing so just try and follow the gist!  Anyway, once in the area which is around Lake Kamaguchi one of the 5 Mount Fuji lakes, I needed to find a bed for the night. With a good degree of help from the Tourist Office I have landed on my feet so to speak as am in a business hotel - hence the laptop service - and the cost is reasonable at 5,900 yen or about 36 or 37  pounds a night with no food. I have picnic-ed tonight and will do the same tomorrow if I can
identify anything that I might be able to eat!!


I haven't dwelled on the food issue as I am sure you don't want to know my issues, let's just say that I am being ultra cautious so that I don't have something that causes repercussions later!  Sorry for the spellings - brain is tired now!! Anyway, hotel is good, and went for a little exploratory walk at about 4p.m. so the light was going but WOW the Autumn colours look stunning and I think I will have lots of enjoyment tomorrow.

 

For those who wonder why I am here - it is all because of a book I bought last year. It is all about the life's work of a chap called Ithchiku Kubota, who died a few years ago but was considered a National Treasure. His work is shibori dyed kimono - and he set up a gallery at the side of lake Kamaguchiko - and this is being continued by his son. If I said his work is incredible, it would be an understatement - puts the kimono featured yesterday into the 'every day wear' by comparison. Anyway I have the gallery to investigate tomorrow. There is also a cable car to a viewpoint and a boat ride around the lake to see to. Then from the map there are a few other interesting things so will have to see what I  can fit in. I am here for tonight and tomorrow and the bus return leg starts at lunchtime - Thursday - for me! There are only 3 buses in each direction each day so I have to mindful of the time on Thursday but expect to be back home late - Paul take note of this as will be late on the Skype connection!

Anyway that is all for now as I have a TV to watch with the sound off as it is too much jabbering....and I have brought my book and knitting so wont be doing nothing...
Look forward to doing the next report....even I am beginning to think I am intrepid now as wasn't at all sure what I was going to be doing for a bed tonight. I had looked at the internet last night and couldn't find anywhere so had to rely on the tourist agency first at Shin FUji then at Kamaguchiko - both of whom were excellent. 

Anyway - glad I hadn't had to resort to the youth hostel as it is closed....it could really have been the lakeside bench!!

No comments:

Post a Comment