Thursday 7 November 2013

Lake Kawaguchi and Itchiku Kobota - Wednesday

I think from yesterday you will get the idea that the Autumn colours are here - well they are amazing but I think they will get better next week. I guess it is quite a judgement thing to time it right - if it gets wet or really cold then the leaves will all be on the floor available for you to collect and make a do-it-yourself-job! 
I started the day by taking the bus to the general area around the Kubota museum but spent a good half an hour photographing the maples as they are in full glory. 
There was a little - well I suppose you could call it a miniature village - with mock ups of what Japanese house used to look like, with miniature acers in their gardens and wooden model deer etc. The gardens had miniature chrysanthemums so all to scale.
Looked good to the eye but the photos are a little disappointing of this bit!
Next it was into the grounds of the gallery where I spent more time on the colour photography - especially as there were parts of the building really showing of the links to Gaudi - so reminded me of my little jaunt to Barcelona! 
 The way in....
 Looking back to the gateway in...
 The Gaudi influence.....
Ahhh - Autumn! Then at last it was time to see the Kimono - as some folk know I have a book by this artist and that was part of why I wanted to come to Japan to see his work.

The book is superb but seeing the real thing adds just so much more - and here was an English dvd to watch which brough tears to my eyes. 

Did wonder if (above) was there to remind him of life in the Siberian prison camp where he was held till about 1957, having been captured during the Korean war...
 More colour...and then the floor on the way our...
 and the gateway - going towards it happy now!
Kubota had such a hard life and only rediscovered this dyeing technique when he was 60. He died at 85 in 2003 and hadn't completed his planned works. His son is working with other of his apprentices to try and complete them. While I was there several groups came round and I was slowly working my way around, studying every last little bit - it is why I came to Fuji and part why I am in Japan.  Was it worth it? .......absolutely worth every last yen!
 

Finally I had to tear myself away and then set off along the lakeside enjoying the wonders of nature. 






 Love at the lake - pity that bit of grass got in the way!


I called in at a few tourist spots and stopped for my daily ice cream break at the herb gardens before continuing to a craft centre. 
The lovely path...
The herb gardens - lavender being tended to here
Persimmon fruits being dried in the sunshine - and look at the size of those greens!
Looking for the craft centre - someone forgot to tidy up - the neighbourhood watch will be complaining!
Blankets out to dry - on bamboo pole
 Flowers going over now..
 but still good to see a bit of different forms of colour.
Bamboo screen with creeping Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper?

It (craft centre) took a bit of finding but was interesting as there were several looms and silk related processing equipment and little animals made out of silk  cocoons - kids would love these.  
 Mount Fuji in silk cocoons....
This loom looked a bit intimidating - stone blocks there for what - stopping it from running away with itself?
A look back at the hillside and bonfire night preparations under way
After that I walked to the retro bus stop hoping to get back to the centre in order to go in the other direction around the lake.
I waited and waited 
And walked some more...


Lovely colours - I know I have said it already!


and walked to the next bus stop and waited again. Yet another interesting drain cove along the way.
I was on the point of legging it again when thankfully the bus finally turned up. My feet were pleased I can tell you!  The next stop was planned to be the gem museum but this was closed as it is Wednesday....so on to the doll museum. Again the quality of the work displayed was breathtaking - can't wait to show you the postcards Isabel - makes our dolls look a bit below par!  By the time I came out the weather was changing...
golden glow time but look at the clouds building up...
When I emerged from the museum the wind was biting cold and I was perished. Not going to walk now as it was getting dark but too bloody cold too! 
Only had to wait 10 minutes for the bus back to the bus station and then got collected by the hotel shuttle bus... and a cup of hot (green) tea to warm me up.  Once defrosted I went up the road to a big shopping area and discovered there was an eatery offering safe food - you might have guessed - time for burger and chips again. Only the second time this holiday, so not too bad really! A girl has to eat something and as I was cold I though it only sensible. Best excuse I can come up with anyway!

 

Now I have finished this little episode, I am going to settle down to listen, hopefully to some more drama on i-player. Last night some of the things wouldn't work, so lets hope I can find something  - even music would be OK....wish I had brought my laptop but it would have been too heavy. I will have muscles on my muscles anyway. Not sure what time I am going back to Kyoto as it will depend on what the weather is up to. there is no point staying for the afternoon if it is wet or cloudy....have to wait and see.

Will likely be late home so there might not be anything much tomorrow but will catch up the next day! That's all for now - book and knitting ....and the remainder of the wine are all calling my name!!

1 comment: