Sunday 3 November 2013

Rain doesn't stop play here!

Late last night I decided that today I would head for Kobe. This is a coastal town south east of Kyoto - and 50 minutes on the rapid train. those of you with good memories will know that Kobe ws very badly damaged by an earthquake that struck at 5.46 on 17th January 1995. More than half the city was lost and 6000 people were killed. Now - 18 years on, the place is rebuilt and done well. There are several memorials to the dead, starting with this one. This was the original harbour clock which stopped in the earthquake.
I'm sorry that all the pictures today are grey looking - it was extremely overcast in the morning and by 2p.m. the heavens opened - and continued to pour all day. However before the downpour, there was a chance to catch some shots of the reflections....
There was applause from somewhere so I followed the noise and found this band performing...

I have a video of them but for some reason it won't load, you will all have to wait till I come home as haven't the time to investigate why not now - which is annoying as I had 3 in total to share with you.  C'est la vie!
 More reflections.....and even the footpaths were done with flair!
When I arrived at the port, I was quite taken with the mosaics around the footpaths.

I was most impressed with this art installation - obviously commissioned for the spot! It was outside a restaurant called - you've guessed it - the Fish!  The work is called Fish Dance by artist is Frank O. Gehry and is made of chain link and is 22m high.

 
This is the Port Tower (red) - I had planned to venture up but as there was such bad visibility there was no point!
I stopped to lunch today as thought I deserved another treat - the place I stopped at was a mini version of McDonalds but Japanese-ified as you could get Japanese grub with your burger and chips - yes I had chips - well fries actually - and a burger. I was now at the opening to the Meriken Park - which is an ultra modern area used for exhibitions.  The following images are all from the current exhibition which is entitled Kobe Biennale 2013. All the installations were in separate containers - the sort used for shipping....certainly very different.
 An another - spiralling into a vortex!
This next one was absolutely brilliant. You had to rubn your hand over the little balls and sound effects were produced and they responded to eh way the balls were touched. Had me really chuckling it was so clever.
 A closer view...
Another exhibit wa based on the coffee from Brazil....not sure why these birds were there - but ....why not!
This next one was a photographic installation and the entire container floor, ceiling and walls were all covered with different images. The theme was 'The five fingers is in bloom in the town' and was based on lost gloves and how people pick them up when they come across one and put it in a conspicuous place.
This next one was all about when people meet space, flowers bloom.....you walked into the reflective surroundings...
Then one based on cogs and their interaction


 This was the backdrop to the cogs container
Another artist had taken existing artworks and the superimposing projected films on to them....notice the plane below the wave - not he sharpest of images but the lighting was impossible!
Then a complete container filled with laser cut paper with a mirror at the far end. The yellow was butterfly wings and the figure at the back of the photo was of a statue of figure. This was made in paper cut into slices ....
 A closer look at the figure.

There was also an Ikebana exhibition ....this one's for you Ruth!

And the more conventional style
I had passed nearly 3 hours walking around the exhibits and it was now time to make my way back to the station...and of course I had only just put the camera away when I spotted this drain cover....
and your final photo for today is extremely fuzzy, but I wanted you to see the Floral clock - another of Kobe's features....
Don't look too hard as the quality is very poor on this one due to the low light and the rain....try holding an umbrella and a shopping bag, backpack and using a camera at the same time - now you now why it's soft....Oops - I just mentioned shopping didn't I, Well that was the other treat of the day.

Edna, one of my braiding conspirators in crime had instructed me to go to a department store name Yuzawaya if I was in Tokyo. Well, luckily for me, as I don't currently plan to go to there, another pal, Diane, tipped me off that there was a branch of the same store in Kobe.......this was one of the reasons for coming to Kobe!  The Kobe version has 5 floors dedicated to crafts - I think the Tokyo version had 8 or 9.  This shop is any crafters version of heaven - you have never seen such a selection in your life (unless you've been here yourself!) That is why I had some bags to carry - if only I had more luggage allowance I might have bought more! As it is I am going to have to send some clothes home by post - I will be less bothered if they get lost than if my valuable purchases were to go astray....I will be bringing back an Aytakadai as well as some other things!! Happy or what!

Now as the rain is still falling and due to carry on tomorrow, it is time to get the paperwork and books out and decide where to go tomorrow....must be near a subway/train or not to far so I can get a taxi - I really don't want to get wet through again....and I  think I might have a bit of a lie in too! ttfn!

No comments:

Post a Comment