Monday 11 November 2013

Hiroshima - apt day to go being Rememberance day.

I managed to get up earlier enough to make the 8am shinkansen from Kyoto to Hiroshima - and luckily no changes necessary on the way there. It was cold and the sky wasn't looking good but I had the umbrella and waterproof cape just in case. I had spotted a chap at the station looking quite dapper but the photo was too soft. he had a snazzy shirt on - really bright white with the inside of the collar band a strong black, black buttonholes and shiny black buttons completed the look - worn with the common place black suit.
The journey was over two hours then a bus to get to the Peace Park. I couldn't let the opportunity to 'do something' go by so did a bit of ply splitting then a little bit of braiding on the disk I brought with me.


So this is the Atomic Bomb Park or the Peace park - this is the building that was directly in the line of fire. I am not going to say much about the historical side of things other than the museum was very well done and educational, but as I expected, also extremely moving. Before I got to the museum, I walked along the path heading for the memorials etc and was a bit surprised to watch these two chaps....
.....what were they doing?
 It certainly was a very heavy rock..
 and then there was another one two...
 ...and then a bit furthr along all became clear - as I figured!
 There was a fair amount of anti nuclear propoganda - no surprise there, but also articles by one or two survivors. There weren't very many!
As you can tell, the weather wasn't helpful - the sky was full of  foreboding...
This was another of the memorials - you might be able to make out some colour at the bottom. This was lots of paper cranes, the symbol of peace, on either side of this monument.
 Very colourful when seen close up.
There were a lot of groups of children - on trips, but not just school age ones, these youngsters would be nursery age and were being told all about what happened.
As I approached the bridge to gain access to the museum, I caught sight of a mass of orange - that;s what they were!
This is a close up of some of the decorations of cranes on the Children's memorial to the youngsters who lost their lives.
 A looking back at the dome shot with a heavy sky, still not raining yet!
Other youngsters letting of a bit of steam playing in the fallen leaves....
And looking around Hiroshima, from inside the museum, looking out at the cenotaph and the surrounding area.
 On the route back I spotted a little bit of street cleaning going on.
The park is also a meeting place - or place to have your lunch...
I wasn't totally sure what was going on here but it looked like this chap was looking after the bikes for someone..
 View of the dome from the other side of the road...
The bell of peace being struck and listening to the reverberations....
 A long shot of Hiroshima with the rather wide river.
Once I had done the museum area, it was time to head to 'the island' Miyajima. Just a shame the light was so bad as under better circumstances you would get some really good photos!  You will just have to imaging them in better light!
The area had wild deer about - they were after food so if anyone was eating in the outside, they were vulnerable to being challenged for the food. Some just tried to feed them anyway!
This chap had real trouble - but very funny to watch!
Posing with the deer as the backdrop....
Walking along seeing what food options were available today - oysters!
And bike rickshaw as the mode of travel, haven't tried this yet, but you never know!
And then a shop selling some sort of fried balls - no telling what is inside!
A multi-storey pagoda...
And finally the famous torii gate. The structure is self supporting - no concrete used and the pole uprights are over 10 meters in circumference....that's what he said! They were big!
Now what were these two upto? I wonder if they had just got married - or if they were being filmed by other than me!
She could have done with a whip to lash him into shape (I mean the 'driver')!
 Certainly pretty...
More roadside food vendors - I was really brave and having been assured they were not spicey, I had one of these - they are fish rolls. The metal rod is withdrawn and a cardboard one inserted and then the roll is handed over for your delight. It was OK but a bit bland
Then back at the ferry - looking at the rusty chains etc
 The view from the side of the ferry heading back to the mainland.
 And looking at the mass of buildings that is Hiroshima today...
Now heading back, I spotted these in the station complex...
 And three little maids are we??
Time to get the train back - this time I have to change at Osaka with a 20 minute wait on a freezing cold station platform. It was about 8.40 when I got home and first things first, I needed a cuppa to thaw out with. Hope it isn't so cold tomorrow - I will be putting more clothes on that's for certain....could have done with my fur lined undies today, that's a fact!

OK blog completed, but some connection issues....fingers crossed I wont loose this!  No looks like it is all right now the modem has been restarted...Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment