Saturday 2 November 2013

A day of contrasts

Sorry folks but there will not be a huge amount of narrative tonight as it is already 10.30 and I am only just starting to do this.  It takes quite a time so this will be cheap and cheerful, to coin a phrase! I want to escape the crowds of Kyoto tomorrow and need to decide where to go - and how to get there....more about this tomorrow (all being well)...
I decided to try and 'do' the Philosophers trail today but only got half way. First though I decided to go from south to north and headed off on foot from Kyoto central.  En route I spied this rather nice mosaic - as the wall of the outside porch/car port.
Then walked over a bridge and got this view of another along the way....gives you a sense of scale!
I couldn't resist having a look in the gateway when I came to the sign for this - Senshoji Temple - didn't expect the vehicles to be parked....
I went on passing by the odd shrine or two - as you do...and decided to investigate the Chishaku-in Temple - I really liked it both inside and out. The feeling of peace and serenity there was incredible as only moments before I had been caught up in hustle and bustle of busy Kyoto.  Nice wall paintings....
You might have guessed by now that I like ice-cream - but not any flavour - preference is rum and raisin but that doesn't appear here. Now would you fancy these - the bottom left is young sardines and Japanese pepper softcream......not on your life!!!Vanilla only so far for me!
Later I followed the herd (hah hah) passing a bull in a china shop.....(perhaps I am spending to long with the other two mad women I came with!!)
At last I arrived at one of the main temples Kyoto has to offer - the Kiyomizudera Temple. It was a bit of a hike and much of it up hill so I was glad of a chance to recover as I walked amongst the artisan demonstrations.  Here you see traditional chopstick making (by a visitor)
A craftsman making a tatami mat - here the finishing process and applying the tape edges...
 A loom to show how the mats are woven - notice the bamboo heddle control...
The there was bamboo and watching how it was split with a star shaped cutter. This is inserted in the wide bamboo (not like these little sprigs below) and the cutter is forced down the bamboo for a bit and it then splits all the way down - with a bit more pressure if needed.
This chap was preparing bundles of cedar bark sheets - these are used as roofing materials - like tiles, because they contain a high proportion of oil, they are water tight for 30 years.
Once rested I took my place in the huge crowds and joined the procession around the temple (today is the beginning of a weekend National Holiday so Japan was out in force!) I believe that this temple was one to have suffered in the recent earthquake and deduced that the blue plastic is containing the ground while repair work is undertaken....if not - why is it there? A least you can tell how high up I was to have taken these shots....
and another of the plastic! Notice that there is another temple building in the distance above the top bit of blue....

I spotted this workman and was impressed by his tools - things ancient and modern - that orange thing is a power tool - goes well with the basket tied to the wheelbarrow and the witches besom!
As we processed along, there was the occasional gap in the foliage and a chance to look back at the main buildings...
Have you ever wondered what foundations a hillside temple would have - well now you can see! In fact there is some metal scaffolding amongst the great wooded beams and workmen tending to the repairs.  It made me wonder if the Japanese public were more plentiful as this treasured temple could so easily have been destroyed. May be it made them all decide to get a look at it while they can.....who knows, but it did make me wonder how the Japanese Joe Soap thinks of his heritage..
The temple is near to Gion, the Geisha area - I am not convinved this girl was the real deal - she was certainly posing for a huge amount of photos....notice the distinctive (erotic area) nape of the neck....
And from the front - pity I hadn't spotted the persons arm growing out the side of her head - Photoshop will be needed to fix this one as it is the best of her...just typical! You didn't even get a second as she was moving between groups of people wanting to have their photo taken with her - me - I would rather have her on her own with no distracting people in the background!
Couldn't resist this shot - the caption of the buggy says 'Air buggy for dog'!!
They start them young with the electronics here!
Escaping from the hoard of the temple, I headed off to the next site - Ryozen shrine - where there is a very large Buddha! The incense burner is a Japanese equivalent to our 'tomb of the unknown soldier'. All visitors are given a purple incense stick to put into the burner while thinking about those who died in the war, fighting for their country. 
On the way out I spotted this unusually shaped chrysanthemum plant
Again I hit the busy streets heading north - by now I was about 'templed out' but found another corner of serenity in a lesser temple garden. Would have liked to have sat here for a lot longer....but the clock is ticking and I have to try to get all the things on my list ticked off (may well be reviewing this soon!!).
So it was back to following the crowd again but by now they weren't going where I wanted and I got lost (again!). I had come to a temple that shouldn't have been there and for once it didn't have a name outside so no clues there.....and many look alike!!
I took a quick look about but then decided I had had enough for today and needed to start making my way back 'home'.  It does take a while, but I was quite pleased when after one normal train and a subway train I was back at Kyoto main station and there was my train waiting.....I should have checked I know, but I got on happy as I even got a seat!  After a while I realised that Ii had been going longer than I should have done - and that was my station we just whizzed by.....don't panic...my rail pass is for unlimited travel......but it wasn't long before the train stopped and I got off quickly. I pointed to my map and queried with the guard how to get there - he pointed over the bridge and said to get the local train back. Red faced again at first, but then I saw several others (locals) doing the same thing. At a guess you get home quicker even with the change of trains than if you wait for one that stops at every station... From now on I am going to check every train - I am not supposed to be stressed while on holiday - it isn't in my plan! Speaking of which I now need ot make one for tomorrow - and it is now 11.48p.m so night night!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Sylv - a day of contrasts indeed. A vey ordinary day here for me with chores, de dah de dah, meanwhile there you are taking in Kyoto from every possible angle. It really is very 'other world' looking at your blog compared with the daily humdrum but very inspiring and some wonderful photos. Keep having fun.
    Looking forward to seeing the braiding footage in due course...... Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to wear your feet down to the size of a geisha girl's with all the walking! Artisan pics are fascinating. That's one big Buddha too! Hope you are going to fit Itchiku's kimonos in. Are you surviving on ice cream alone, Sylvia? One thing I wondered about is the birds. Do they have Japanese sparrows? No crane spotting - sorry, terrible pun. Looking forward to reading tomorrow's adventures. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to wear your feet down to the size of a geisha girl's with all the walking! Artisan pics are fascinating. That's one big Buddha too! Hope you are going to fit Itchiku's kimonos in. Are you surviving on ice cream alone, Sylvia? One thing I wondered about is the birds. Do they have Japanese sparrows? No crane spotting - sorry, terrible pun. Looking forward to reading tomorrow's adventures. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your blogs have been trying to comment but to no avail had to wait for a teenager to show me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. only just catching up still not managed with the comments see if this one works

    ReplyDelete