Saturday 9 November 2013

Temples, Taxis and Toriis

Since the weather was going to be good today, I decided to start by going back to Arashiyama as I had only covered half of the sites when I visited last week. I am so glad that I took the trouble to go back as I was most impressed by what I found. Be warned - there are lots of images today and not too many words - you can't have both!

Before I continue, I am pleased to report that with the bandages on the ankles and the magic pills from the drug store - I am mobile - for how long only the day will tell!

As seems to be my blight, it is all to easy to think you are somewhere other than where you are - especially when you come out of an entrance which isn't the one you thought it was on the map....anyway that means I had messed up from the beginning but wouldn't have got the next few shots of normal life going on otherwise!
Saturday morning and the kids come out to play...or have some tennis coaching - these girls were really giggling at having their picture taken.

Their coach had been to Australia for 3 weeks and seemed to be able to assist me - this was when I realised I wasn't where I though. Back on the right track and avoiding the numerous cyclists - all who ride ancient looking upright bikes like this one..

This was just a typical building site on the way! I then decided I was too far off course and grabbed a taxi that was idling by. Eventually - after a bit of a round about trip I got to the first temple at Adashino Nembetsu-ji. This is the home of over 8000 statues which act as gravestones for the long dead and of course there are Buddhas everywhere.
There was a bit of repair work underway....
And a sort of shrine with some strange fruit on the tree branches - looked between a pear and an apple...
 This next one is for Ruth, my younger, 'frog mad' daughter - don't know the significance of the other character - I think it is supposed to be a bear...
 Final view from this one before I trot on to the next, just up the road a bit...
 Passed this chap reading his paper - thought the dog looked very comfortable....
 And over the road was some sculpture mad types....
Had to go under this bridge - weird looking things underneath...
 ...and the tea towels out to dry on the wall...
A shrine on the way - note the bottom left hand corner - the couple were playing with the dog!
 Had to include this sign as I liked the maples with the people in between...
Bikes are often left by trusting cyclists - including some with gloves on!
Finally I arrive at the next one - noted on Haru's map as being a good one!
 Again lots of statues - this time all Buddha's made by people over the centuries...
Working conditions leave a bit to be desired....
Mostly the statues were well covered in moss or lichen but somehow it gave all of them little personalities...
Some had jewellery....
Passing by a little waterfall and Buddhas with little aprons on - wish I knew why!
Look at some more of the little chaps - they really appealed to me...perhaps I will have one in the garden...
 Then a real statue just could have done with a few more feet of room to frame it better!
As more steps were involved I leaned on the rail and was horrified to feel it giving way - this split opened up - not my fault - thing it had been like it for years - it was well rickety.
I then caught a bus that took me to Daikuji Temple - I had planned to go back ot the station but the bus had other ideas!!
Just inside the grounds this little chap was doing what our James loves to do - throw stones into the water!
Again it's time to take off your shoes
 and go into the temple itself. This one allowed photography which seems rare!
Some very nice painted screen doors
 with a good view over the garden.
Just around the corner and you got this good view of teh entrance way - note the raked gravel again....
and this bit was sand that had been expertly brushed - no walking on this bit!
 Some girls perusing the gifts - mainly lucky charms.
Just time to answer the phone while no-one is looking....
 There was a display of Ikebana as the school is based at the temple.
Next it was back to transport and I took a taxi back to the station as it would have been a while before a bus was due...and then I went via Kyoto station and changed lines - 2 more stops and I was at Inari station. Just opposite was what I had come for - The Fushimiinari-taisha shrine.  This is famous for its hundreds of orange/red torii that form a tunnel up the mountain. I had read about it in the guidebook that I borrowed from Diane (thanks again for letting me bring it with me!) Pity I hadn't remembered all that I had read - the book says this forms a pleasant day hike - something that I just hadn't seen - the walk is over 4 Km up hill and this is mainly steps - terrible if you have joint problems!
Before I got stuck in to the climb I spotted this family - I think it was some significant birthday...very well dressed..
and her little sister was impressive to look at but they were having a terrible job keeping them from playing with the stones!
 Part way along the torii path - people posed for photos....
 Then there are two - how do you know which way to go?
 Every huge upright was inscribed with what I think must be prayers
Here are some fox shapes for people to offer their prayers on - buy a blank and fill it in then tie it to the shrine. Foxes are reveered here....there's lots of statues of them too!
 a couple of girls perusing the offerings...
 and posing for the camera...
 ...back to the grind - up and up...
 The cost of 'building' this monument shown by the various stages...
 A spot of tea for some along the way....
Encouraging maps to show you where you are - still a long way to go - I will get there if it kills me....
And at very long last - I am just about still breathing and I have arrived at the top of the mountain.  But it had taken me so very long - getting passed all the time by able bodied people! So I had to make the return leg in failing light - and then dark! Thank goodness for my torch!
 But worth it for the night view of Kyoto...

...and then back home to put my feet up....once I am sure I am on the right train for Kyoto - would you be able to tell???



1 comment:

  1. I would of got the wrong train easily, love the frog mum thanks.

    ReplyDelete