Friday 1 November 2013

Country bumpkin goes to the big city!

Well now I really know how difficult it is to get about when you can't understand anything! Today has been quite a challenge, but the end result was a most successful day and I got home!
The first part of the adventure today was getting to the station (ie finding it- nearly went past, but realised before going to far out of the way!). Choice of direction was fine as I could follow the signage at the station - so next stop Kyoto station.  Now just in case you don't know this is a massive complex with 38 platforms plus metro system and shopping arcades etc. I first validated my pre-ordered Japanese Rail pass so now all further train journeys are covered by the pass. then I went to the tourist office and came away with an arm full of leaflets so thought I would go and have a cuppa.  The two were at an adjacent table - I did wonder exactly what they were plotting - 
The next picture gives the game away -
- they are either fashion designers, toy manufacturers or computer game designers....wonder which!
Suitably refreshed my next installment finds me at the top of Kyoto tower (you get there by lift otherwise I would never have gone up - I'm not a fan of high up places and have been in tears before now trying to get to the top of a tower and being totally terrified through vertigo). Here are some pictures to prove it....First the tower - taken from just outside the station complex - yes it's high!
 And now one of the views from the 360 degree viewing platform, just short of outer space!
Hope you like the little artistic touches - the arm support of the platform and the shadow of the tower - zoom in to see the traffic - I waited for the bus to come along!

I returned to the station now to pick up the metro having realised my next plan wasn't going to be by foot!

This is the signage at the subway and when you finally manage to find the clues, tell you the track, for each direction and the price to each numbered station. The bottom half of the picture shows the ticket machines which have an English help button. The explanation wasn't that good as it took me 4 attempts to get a ticket. Once I realised the fares stated were for adult or child and all one way, it made more sense. I had at first took it to mean single or return price.....this is because I am a country bumpkin and not that whizzed up on subway/metro pricing structures!
Ticket in hand I then set off for the Imperial Palace. All went well - I navigated myself to the grounds and decided that a bit of lunch might be a good idea. I decided to 'go native' so to speak and try something Japanese. The system is you choose from pictures and brief description (in English if you're lucky) and successfully got lunch - pictured below.  Sushi rice flavoured with many fine vegetables and slices of egg with noodles and pickled ginger -or words to that effect.



I have positioned the leaflet and small chopsticks to give an idea of size. Didn't find any egg and not much veg that I could identify - but it was very nice. Found the ginger too strong that was all.  Now a girl can't have a trip out on a sunny day without an ice cream (or two!). This was a completely different style and was plastic packed for keeping in the freezer and ready to sell to every passing possibility! 
Yes - it was massive and the cornet inside the base plastic had ice cream right down to the bottom. When you buy it the bottom clearish bit of plastic forms the top bit or lid over the ice-cream squiggles. Yummy!  For an appetizer before lunch, I had taken a few small samples from the stalls that were in the Palace grounds....no idea what it was - some pickled and some were sweet - the latter mainly tasted like chestnut puree flavoured slightly with ? Or it could have been....well anything really!
Inside the palace was a bit of a disappointment as the buildings were no where near as elaborate as I had expected. Interesting to read about but although I took photos - nothing much to shout about! The chap below was one of three Gagaku dancers who used to entertain at the Imperial family.
There was a lovely bit of garden near the end of the tour though - where the Emperor went to get away from the stresses of the job!
Then I went for my treat of the day....over the road from the palace is the Adachi-Kumihimo-Kan which means braids to you lot.  This lovely man let me take a few photos - and also posed for me! He demonstrated an old style of semi automated maradai too - need to examine video to see if it any good - that's for later!
I think the chap was willing as I am considering buying an Aytakadai from him - just waiting for a bit of advice from Jennie before placing the order....
I left feeling very pleased with the day's activities - all that remained was to get home - and the light was beginning to go.....I know that is no excuse really and I could lie and say I just went home - well I did, but first I travelled all the way to the end of the subway - in the wrong direction! Red face or what!! Luckily a very helpful young woman realised I was confused and in excellent English asked where I was trying to get to - perhaps she meets lots of idiots on her way home from work! So back to the ticket machines for a bit more practice this time more dosh as I now  need to go the length of the subway - but all OK in the end. Just managed to catch the 6p.m. train from platform 33, local train going to Arashiyama.  

I almost got of at the wrong stop (too early) but the guard I had checked with about the direction of the train, called me back and said to go one more stop....all in the best sign language and occasional word of English....Stop Ingrish, not yet.....or something to that effect!
 Fellow passengers - where would they be without their electronic devices??

Finally part of tonight's supper, bought form the station in a moment of weakness - it is a form of sweet potato - and was very nice - heated in the microwave and washed down with a cuppa-soup (from Asda of course!!) Made a change from cheese omelette!  Must try and find some meat or fish to cook....or risk more lunch out....watch this space for the next adventure....not sure yet what it will be - need to study all the leaflets! ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment