Wednesday 16 October 2019

Day 6/7 Tuesday & Wednesday15th October

Another technical hitch tonight! Nothing serious, but I had homework to finish from the end of Tuesdays lace class. When I had finished and reached for my I-pad, I realised there was only hotel wifi (abysmally  slow) and my mobile WiFi was like me, exhausted....I had forgotten to plug it in when got back tonight!  Photos will have to wait as I might die of old age while the little bod running round making the power does his best! Hope to be able to do a little before 9am lecture, but no promises!

Tuesday was lace day 2 when we moved onto a mini project.  The lace has to be finished for the construction to take place. Also the block, not pillow, needs to be returned first thing as it is needed for tomorrow’s class.

Terrible photo, this is Reiko  Indagaki or her surname is similar.... going from memory here!  She was my stand-in lace teacher for two days. Original tutor didn’t make it due to typhoon so Reiko stood in for her with about 48 hours notice. Her English was sometimes less than desired, but she was a good teacher, and her own work was lovely. Very much 3D!  We did better the second day as we were following Reiko’s style of work rather than the notes that had been sent by Gil Dye. Think it’s better if you are learning from the horse itself, rather than the monkey riding on its back!  The typhoon had caused everyone lots of problems.,

This was our much described Ninja bento box lunch!   Packaging as usual was excellent and the instructions bade you lift off clear plastic lid , cover with a place and invert.....hey presto your meal awaits! It was good as nothing spicy and I was able to eat about 30% , mainly because I wasn’t over hungry. Lunch was early, felt like I had only just had breakfast!




This was the outside view of our lunch, the idea being that the ninja is hidden and only discovered by those that complete their meal!  It was filling so many of us struggled, even though it was delicious! Broccoli, lotus root, pickled plum, roasted chestnut, egg, squash, mushroom, Japanese potatoes, yam,and I can’t remember what else!


Bazaar time!
On Sunday there was a small market in the square, some interesting bits to see, but also reminders of pals left behind!

This is a strange gadget....can you guess what it is used for? Answer later!
This is Kathy Warner (USA) admiring the hat band of another delegate followed by the maker as the model!



Another sweet tasty morsel of 10, these are sweet potato sticks that’s have been fried then dipped in syrup, sweet and scrumptious!


Wednesday was the day off, and an arranged bus trip into the mountains to the Minho museum, an incredible museum built in 1997. Designed by the same architect as the pyramid at the Louvre, the building was magnificent and the contents were few in number but incredible in their condition and age. Egyptian statues from 3000 years ago or more, also artefacts from Persia, Iran, China and other countries, but sadly we only had an hour and a half. You could have spent the day there! 

Noboru and I posing. She was one of the makers of the gifts I received.



Busy bees on market stall had been needle felted and I thought the stall holder was the maker.However it turned out she bought the felled objects from the makers in Kurdistan (I think that’s right!)

Lovely well felted slippers...
















No comments:

Post a Comment