Monday 14 October 2019

Day 4, Sunday 13th October continued

Just yet another grovel to you all!  Today (Monday) has been somewhat hectic as it was the first full day of the conference, with lectures, classes and the bazaar!  I have decided that it is too late to do catchup on photos tonight but will have an hour in the day tomorrow and should have more evening time too.

So quick ( now 11.20p.m.!) for quick round up for yesterday. I had helped out a bit with admin and room prep, then I staged my exhibit.  Next I had a quick scout about for shops as needed milk etc, but shop I found was shut....later after Welcome evening, found FamilyMart or something and got sorted!
Have had some food related episodes so trying to avoid issues from now on.....consequence number 1.....not one but two delicious ice creams! They were more like sorbets really, lovely refreshing and orange flavoured.  The town is far too small to have much in terms of shops and shouldn’t think the locals have even heard of McDonalds, my normal survival food, (once every 3 days), so sadly had to do as we were told some centuries ago. You’ve got it, I am letting me eat cake....and pastries and associated stuff!  The main food might not suit me but the cakes, breads and pastries are second to none, well perhaps apart from the French!

As I am not going for much in way of protein at present I am hoping calorie count will be tolerable!

So on to the evening. This was the opening Welcome party held in an historic building that used to be the school for children of samurai. It is a very valued building and furnished with tatami matting, so everyone, without exception has to remove shoes to be allowed entry.  The various rooms were now embellished by what I can only describe as a bonanza of talent! Possibly one of the best exhibitions of braiding I am ever likely to see.  Student work was displayed separately to teachers. Photography possible but difficult due to electric light and poor at that in places. The electrician was still fitting light bulbs in various corners....

We had been greeted with a small glass of wine, beer or soft drinks to be consumed outside since no drinks to be embibed inside. I think there was an error in translation as they said you could take your glass in, but not drink. I downed my two mouthfuls as didn’t want to be tempted!

I took lots of photos which I will deal with tomorrow....am going back on Wed to do it all again in daylight so hope the rain keeps away!

Finally made way back to hotel around 9.15 or so, completely tired and needed to prepare for Monday.  Too late to bed but a girl has to do what a girl has to do!

Ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment