Monday 28 October 2019

Day 18 Sunday 27th October

As I indicated at the end of yesterday’s post, I made the transfer from Kanazawa to Tokyo by train. You can get an idea of the distance as it took about 3 hours!

The day started well as I had got up very early as know I need time to get going, also I had changed the taxi booking to 9.30 but wanted to be downstairs with luggage all ready to go!  Just as well as the taxi was a bit early but there was good reason! Sunday just happened to be the day of the Kanazawa marathon! 13,000 people took part and runners came from all over the place to take part.  The taxi driver explained with difficulty that what would normally take 10-15 minutes could take an hour, with the same level of increase in cost.  I was stuck between that blasted rock and a hard (financial) place!  Still, I had booked out and the train was calling so just said ok and swallowed hard!

Lady Luck was with me though as just as the luggage was being loaded into the boot, a couple of women asked the taxi driver if they would be able to get a taxi. He was explaining the difficulty etc when I decided to ask if, per chance they wanted to go to the station.  Talk about serendipity! Yes they wanted to go to the station and understood about the marathon and associated issues with transport. So we struck a deal and were soon on the way. They were friends who had a son in one case and husband in the other, both competing in the race.   The journey took almost an hour and we seemed to be going all over the place as roads were closed to let the runners cross etc.  Anyway, the mum and pal were both from Hong Kong and were there to support their men.  The son of the older lady was the trainer and was a fast runner and they were trying to get to the winning post before him!

I was amazed that none of the hotel staff had thought to mention the date of the marathon! There were lots of signs saying Kanazawa run, but no numbers or anything resembling a date! I was a bit peeved as had booked the taxi a couple of days in advance and had changed the time on Saturday evening as I had realised the race was on Sunday when people were erecting barriers and what seemed like thousands of toilets were being installed in parks etc along with small marquees!

The train journey was fine as had a youngster next to me who wanted to refresh her English skills.She was very pleasant and she is going to study the blog as a way of improving her language skills. Hague, her name, is a pharmaceutical student, so bright to say the least!

On arrival in Tokyo, I realised the Ueno station was better for my hotel so had to jump up rapidly to man all my baggage!  A short take later and I wa delivered to my next temporary home. I was desperate for a cuppa and oh, what delight a proper kettle that actually boils!  Room is better but not much bigger, perhaps less than 2 square metres bigger!

Decided to chill out and just have a short wander as felt really tired. Had a reasonable night sleep so ready to tackle Tokyo, and shopping!
 Not many photos but one or two people in costumes so here we go!
Batman and a minion but no Robin!

Some looked worse for wear and this was only the beginning!

Taken on the way to Tokyo nut had to be quick as all the trains get up a good speed.

The Japanese had a peculiar gait when running, perhaps because of the numbers of competitors! 
As usual emotions were running high

On arrival in Tokyo I grabbed a taxi and made my way to the hotel.  It didn’t take me that long to realise I wasn’t far from where I had stayed on the last trip so felt comfortable with the set up!  I was really tired so took the chance to chill out and have a bit of a rest. It is really hard work rpenjoying yourself!  Went for a short walk to get supplies but then got comfy.  Aggravatingly I couldn’t settle at night and must be over tired. In the week at Kanazawa I have walked  at least six miles a day so not surprised it is catching up with me, the joints are shouting with every step! 

So signing out for now !


No comments:

Post a Comment