Wednesday 23 October 2019

Day 14 Wednesday 23rd October

Serendipity!!

I had been studying the map and list of museums last night, so had a plan! I went to two small museums this morning, very close to each other and quite close by. The first was Kanazawa Shinise Memorial Hall.  This was incredible from my point of view. Not only had it got exhibits about old cures and medicines, but also an area about marriage customs etc. Odd mix but as a museum it is celebrating 60 local business that each have over 100 years of trading.  Marriage ceremonies were often big business, with mothers traditionally making a small ball for their daughters at the time of their wedding. The museum had tons of these balls, called Temari, which I am interested in. So a bonanza!

The other museum called the Maeda Tosanokami-ke Shityokan Museum was less interesting. Although billed outsde as a Samurai museum, most exhibits were about documents. Not good if you can’t read the lingo!

Around 11.30  I started making my way to the home of Hanako Takayama, a Temari teacher.  I had a lesson booked for 1pm.   The walk shouldn’t take that long but it depends on what you see on the way.  Today I hit the jackpot and came by a second hand kimono shop...with a sale on too! 3 obi or 3 kimono for 1000yen (£7.50) ish! Let’s just say I must get another case, and leave it at that!!

Time to continue my route. All was going well until I was within 200 yards or so, but it could have been 200 miles! Even when I asked I was misdirected, until I asked a tall dark young man....( thinking he might speak some English or live in the area?). To cut a long circular repeated explore short, I will just say that with his help, I finally arrived just after 1.30.  Don’t know when I have been so relieved! Apologised for being late and tried to explain what had happened and how sorry I was. I gave her the packet of shortbread I had reserved for this purpose and sat down to work.   Chairs look like they have escaped an infant school, low and wider than kindergarten chairs but very similar, but I was seated, ready for business!

All together the lesson lasted 5 yes 5 hours, mostly in silence except for odd murmur and consultation with translation software! I came away, after a super afternoon, with two completed Temari.

Exhausted I arrived back at the hotel. My swag bag weighs lots and my fingers ached but to anyone Else it would seem like it’s madness, while to me it’s great!

Now the pictures...views along the way or in little museum garden.....and exhibits from museums!
Temari


Mizuhiki

Candy tree











Rice wafers in all shapes sizes and c9ours

















Sorry about the  upside down photo, good practice reading for 6ou!

That’s all for today, I am ready for sleep, all this walking is wearing me out...and carrying heavy sway in high temperatures doesn’t help! 
TTFN


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous day. Fantastic picture of temari. I'm very jealous of that workshop you did :-)

    ReplyDelete