Thursday 31 October 2013

Arashiyama today! On the west side of Kyoto...

Firstly can I say again a big thank you to the kind folk who are commenting on my blog, it really helps and it feels like you are here with me. Anybody else who is reading and hasn't sent a comment yet please do so - then I will know all the time this is taking is really worthwhile!! I need to investigate the hit rate, but not time to do it now - I want to have some time to knit tonight!!

Whiel I think of it I just want to add an extra note on the subject of toilets before I forget...here at the guest house the toilet is a normal (nothing fancy) western toilet (complete with cover so it isn't cold to sit on)...but what is really clever is the cistern. It is triangular so fits into a corner - space is at a premium in all rooms (coded for they're small), so that is good, but on the top and built into the design is the sink. This has a very small waste and when the toilet is flushed, the tap runs so you can wash your hands and all the waste water then fills the cistern. Very economical as there is no other way of getting the water to flow so you don't need a separate little sink just for hand washing. 

Isabel mentioned she was looking up the temples in Google to see what they are like etc. (Hopefully not trying to compare my pix with official ones...!) I thought I would give you a link to see the fabulous ceiling in the first temple that I visited today (Tenryuji temple). As is the case virtually at every temple, there is no photography inside - you do get a pamphlet and this ceiling is on the cover of the one for this temple - but I would still have liked more- especially as it is a dragon! Here is the link - stick it into Google translate and bingo (I hope!)
http://www.tenryuji.com/unryuzu/index.html
These are the gardens....


Temple/shrine count was 6 today but the light was disappointing this afternoon. Blisters were beginning to bother me too so came back a bit earlier. However to start at the beginning...

It was very late last night when I finished blogging and given I was done in, I slept better - almost too well as didn't wake up till 8.35! Nearly had a fit when I saw the time as that's good looking around time wasted, but then decided to chill and after shower etc had some porridge for breakers. Yes - in case you are wondering  - I did bring it with me - along with cinnamon to go with it. Suitable revitalised I donned my (new) trainers and with the running socks that I bought at the same time my little trotters felt well padded to start the day! 

I didn't have to walk very far at all up to the local tram station where I managed to go to the right platform for Arashiyama. No problem to know when you get off as I was going to the end of the line this time. It was a pleasant little ride and I enjoyed people spotting - I did wonder what they all thought of me. I feel a bit of a giant next to some of the Japanese women....and talking of them, I have noticed that a lot of the older women seem to have very badly bowed legs or to be really well bent in the back - much more than I have ever noticed at home. This makes them really tiny - and they have very very short legs....anyway, I digress...

These two pictures were taken on the bamboo trail. I hadn't realised just how tall bamboo grows - Paul - I hope we have a different variety round the pond or Terry really will have something to worry about! The girl was with a young chap also in costume, and they had along a photographer so obviously doing something more than just play acting!  
After the bamboo it was a stop of at the villa that had belonged to a favourite Japanese film star. I have put the paperwork away and can't remember the name at the moment - will add it later as want to get on with this now!
This was a ginko tree with new young sprouts from all parts of the trunk and below is a flower that was in a little nursery area. Anybody know what it is? Love the colour!
Then it was back on the track to the next temple - I think this was Jojakkoji but it could have been Goiji -you wont care! This shows an area used for burials and the stick like things are actually quite wide and have inscriptions on them. Some of the stonework was statues but most was more like stone pillars - often with captions on. Note the autumn colour - not as far developed as I would hae liked but I have another fortnight....
After the temple I was off to the home of the deceased famous poet Rakushisha - but on the way I spotted these folk busy harvesting a crop of what I think are some type of bean. I asked one of the elderly lady pickers what it was and she showed me the little peanut like bean inside the husk - I went to bite it and she said something that I think meant that they had to be cooked first. I made her laugh as I clutched my throat as if I was being poisoned! My sign language and acting must be improving!
This the crop - if you slide your mouse over the middle of the picture you will be able to see the dark red bean thing.
As my C&G design course contacts will understand, I have previously photographed lots of different manhole covers in London - why - design inspiration was what I hoped for. The Japanese in this area are not daft as they have even designed the drain covers here with Momiji - acer leaves to you and I!
After the poet's place which had lots of persimmon trees loaded with fruit on, it was up to the next temple where amongst other things was this water feature. I have already seen several of these, but this one was particularly noisy - going clonk every few moments. It was a shame as it broke the silence (apart from squawking birds again!)

I was pretty much 'templed out' and the light was useless, so decided to return home, leaving the northern half of the Arashiyama tourist area to do another day when the sun is shining.  On the way back to the tram, I spotted these two kimono clad young women - and also the heels on the two on the right. Zoom in and have a look.....while you are at it did you spot the bright maple leaves....
 ..look at this shot and you can see they are attached to the top of the sign - they are fake! I was astonished they were using artificial leaves - a bit of a con here!
 And while we are on the subject of signs - at the Arashiyama tram station there are lots of illuminated columns with photos on - this is a close up of one near the departure board....
 And once on board I couldn't resist snapping this lady - her feet were what I noticed as they were tiny and she had wedged sandals. I couldn't help thing back to the Chinese bound feet.....perhaps cos my blisters were making themselves known - with avengeance!
 And finally even in Japan, the kids are aware of the date today - these youngsters were outside the tram station when I got off, posing for photos and waiting for any late arrivals.
After I had taken their photo, their teacher encouraged them all to wish me - what I wish you all for tonight - a very Happy Harroween!!

2 comments:

  1. What surprised me is that some of the young women are in kimonos. Is this to do with their jobs perhaps? Nigel is enjoying the blog too but thinks he should get your permission to read it! I told him it was fine. Your communication with the local people seems to transcend language barriers. Well done! Soak your feet in salt water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. testing comment 5th time of trying

    ReplyDelete